Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fret Buzzing Noises???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_newbie, Jan 25, 2006.

1. bass_newbie

bass_newbie

Oct 24, 2005
    I have recently purchased a bass and have been encountering a difficulty. When I play a note, the strings buzz against the frets in an annoying manner. I'm considering 3 causes of this:

1. Me. Do novices tend to play a bass in a certain way as to cause fret buzzing noises?

2. The bass. Is there some way I could modify the bass to fix this? If not, I'll need to look into purchasing another bass.

Thanks,

bass_newbie

2. It could be a few different things.

If you don't push the string down all the way you can get some fret buzz. Or if you are playing too hard for the string height you can get buzz too.

But, It could also need some truss rod and/or string height (action) adjustments. I like Gary Willis' set-up manual (www.garywillis.com). Look at the truss rod and action sections. You can do it yourself, but if you don't feel comfortable with that (I know I didn't for several years), you can bring it in to a local shop and they can help you. But first off, make sure that you are pressing the string all the way down, then check out the truss rod and action.

I'm sure others will chime in to help you too.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

It is possible the action of the bass is too low for your playing style. It is possible you have a heavier touch and are causing the strings to buzz on the frets. Also, it is possible that your neck is out of adjustment and needs to be adjusted properly. I would suggest taking your bass to a shop you trust and tell them your problem, and they will most likely be able to help you set the bass up for what is best for you.

4. Just to further drive in the point. It could indeed be your technique. When I first started, I had insane amounts of fret buzz, but I've learned how to eliminate that through my hand technique (that is unless the music calls for some aggressive sounds). The easiest fix though is to take it to a music shop somewhere. Just tell them the problem and that you're new to bass, and they will get you all fixed up and make any adjustments to the instrument they deem necessary. You will still probably have some buzz even with a well set up instrument if you aren't playing correctly, but just keep working on it. I'll go away with time. Also keep in mind, new strings always buzz more than old strings.

5. True.

I buzzed for a while.

6. Bipedal

Bipedal

Jan 24, 2006
    Fayetteville, GA
    Lol I found out that if I don't hold the string down hard enough, it buzzes lots. So now I have bruised fingers, but at least my bass won't rattle and buzz!