Fret problems typical for cheaper Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MicceO, Dec 17, 2004.

1. MicceO

Aug 12, 2004
    I'm planing to purchase a new bass, a cheaper one. I've played about for half a year, and my first bass is Fender Jazz. But now, as I have to commute between two apartements, I've found that I need another one, so as to minimise execessive hassling.

I've been comparing Yamaha RBX374 and Ibanez something, can't remember the type, but about the same price level.

But the problem with the Ibanez was that the frets were awfully rough hurting my hand. They only got one Ibanez, so I couldn't compare.

So, could someone tell me if this is a typical problem for cheaper Ibanez or was it only bad luck.

Thanks! :)
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You mean the edges, or the tops?

Its pretty common for cheaper basses to have sharper fret edges, its a symptom of sloppy or incomplete fret dressing. Easily remedied by any local luthier or tech, probably someone in the store is qualified to do the work.

I got the tools and learned to dress frets myself, FWIW . . .
  3. MicceO

Aug 12, 2004

Thanks! The problem was with the edges.

What I found surprising was that the difference to Yamaha was so clear despite the same price. As for Yamaha I couldn't notice any fret problems.

4. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    I have an Ibanez GSR200. About $209. Never noticed any fret problems.
  5. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've got an Ibanez RB800, but its from teh 80s and I paid $170 for it with a HSC - wand no problems here...maybe its just that bass?