1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fret slots too narrow.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Benjamin Strange, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm refretting my wonderful Alvarez 9 string acoustic, and I'm having a hell of a time getting my new frets into the slots. I've ran my saw through the slots a million times, loosened my truss rod, etc. - all the things that should be done with any refret. However, I can't get the new frets to fit - the tang is .003 wider than my saw blade. I can't press the frets in - I've had to hammer them in, and they are fighting me pretty bad. I've bent up a few frets, which will have to be pulled and replaced.

Beyond buying an expensive new tool to file down the tangs, what can I do? Help!

2. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Aha! I found a trick: I lubricated the entire board with lemon oil, and then hammered in the frets. I wish I had thought of this earlier; I've been fighting this neck for weeks! Now I've gotten all my frets in - time to start gluing and dressing.

3. did you say 9 string? Pics, por favor. :)

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    google it, it's really interesting looking! :)

5. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yessir.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's been abused considerably. I've done a lot to fix it and clean it all up - I removed the excessively large pickguard, cleaned up all the glue residue on the face, cleaned up the bridge that had been hacked out with a chainsaw to install a pickup, installed a JLD bridge doctor, and now I'm re-fretting it. It sounds fantastic - I can't wait to take this thing out to gigs.

I've got a few recordings of it up on my website, www.benjaminstrange.net.