1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretboard jumping

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Slappingpopping, May 1, 2010.

1. When im playing i mostly stay on 2-3 strings jumping up and down and the fretboard to hit the high/low notes. But when im reading music i usually stay in the first 4 frets + open strings as there just the first frets i jump to.

Should I practice being able to play all my pieces in different positions without thinking about it?

2. i'd say so....you never know when someone's gonna call a key change.....i place the music off to the right during practice so i can't look at the neck

one skill i'd like to have is to transpose on the fly

3. Just making it clear, i can sight read well but only in the first four frets + open strings which is pretty much every note i need i need for when i play, im talking about being able to play the same thing in any position of the fretboard should i bother concentrating on doing that

4. I'd probably work more on playing in one place when you're not reading. If there's no need to change hand positions then it's quicker not to- and use all 4 strings. ie: rather than using 2-3 strings in each position, work on using 4 strings in each position...... er ..... so I think the answer to your question is - yes - work on doing that.

5. wade_b

wade_b

Jul 8, 2008
    You know you have a deficiency, and you know what can be done to overcome it.

So do it - I'm not sure why you are reluctant to learn this - do you think it will "set you back" somehow?

I play things in different positions all of the time - I consider being able to do this a valuable musical skill.

I think there is a time and a place for "correct" or immutable fingerings and positions. I also think that the player should not be locked into positions or patterns, but should be playing notes. The choice of position and fingering is yours and yours alone unless and until it negatively impacts your performance.

6. i would say go the route that makes you the most well rounded player.....better to choose the first four frets than not have any option

7. wade_b

wade_b

Jul 8, 2008
    Why be so academic about it though?

Can you not hear the difference in tone from playing the same note higher up the neck on the lower strings?

Learn to hear those tonal differences and use them creatively, like McCartney did.

8. The first 4 frets and then up the 1st string for ledger notes is known as position one. You've got 3 octaves there, i.e. you've got every note you need - every sharp and or flat to play any key. By it being called position one there would seem to be other positions.......

Now the big boys will tell you to branch out and use more than just position one. Right now, in my bass journey, position one does what I want, I'm keeping an open mind and I'm sure the other positions will creep into my playing -- should I take the time to learn them. IMO, explore the other positions and see what you think.

9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Yes.
    It sure won't hurt and the better you know your instrument the better for any playing situation:).

10. from low e to c on the g string is just over an octave and a half.....the answer to the op is obvious......this appears to be another one of those "ask a question,then argue with all the answers" deals,so buh bye......

11. Minotauros

Minotauros

Nov 23, 2009
    I know it's important to learn how to transpose in your head, as I've heard many people say. My former guitar teacher didn't think it was important to go past just learning the scales and transposing. So I'm learning by myself. But enough of that.

It's going to be a long time, if ever, before I play with anyone else, so the bass lines I'm learning and using are based on what the song was written in since right now I'm playing with the recordings.

My question is, do many bands often transpose a song on the fly or isn't it something that's prepared and done beforehand and then finalized in practice? I thought I've read elsewhere about changing keys on the fly during performing, or maybe I've misunderstood?

12. depends on the band.....if you are playing in a bar,you probably won't have charts.....but key changes to accommodate a vocalist are common.....learning to transpose on the fly is a valuable skill,despite what the guitar teacher said.....if you know in advance that you will never need to tho',skip it.....but like guns and money,better to have and not need,than to need and not have

13. Minotauros

Minotauros

Nov 23, 2009
    I disagreed with the teacher about the transposing, and was one of the reasons I withdrew from lessons. I know that especially with female vocalists, key changes are pretty common. So even though I have no prospects of joining a band or other players, it could only make me a better player to learn as much as possible. Thanks. :)

14. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    Do you guys know the difference between a female singer and a terrorist?

With a terrorist, you could try to negotiate.

15. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    +1