Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretboard Question???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowFreakuency, Apr 16, 2005.

1. LowFreakuency

LowFreakuency

Feb 1, 2005
    I was curious as to why you don't see many basses with Ebony Fretboards. (Except maybe Carvin's) I see Maple, Rosewood, Pau Ferro, & Wenge but very few Ebony Boards. Is it because of it's tonal characteristics?

I ran across a good description of some Neck Wood Tones @
    http://www.andersonguitars.com/tonelibneck.cfm

2. Gabbass

Gabbass

Aug 15, 2004
    Italy
    Many liuthiers don't like ebony for fretted bass...it gives problems...it isn't a good wood with the frets....it tends to take out the frets after a little time.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Ebony is a tough wood to work with, and it's also expensive. You usually don't see it in cheapie models of basses. MANY MANY basses have ebony fretboards, but they're usually on the upper steps of the staircase. My Alembic and Warwick both have ebony FB's.

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    The Dean Jeff Berlin Standard that I had actually had an Ebony board, and that ran around $800.

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Are those still around?

6. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I don't think so. The last time I checked, Dean's website didn't have them, so I wonder if they're discontinued.

I didn't like mine, no matter what I did the action always felt way too low and I had to play with a super soft touch in order to not get fret buzz.

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yup, just how Jeff likes it :)

8. LowFreakuency

LowFreakuency

Feb 1, 2005
    How does Ebony compare to Maple in the tone dept.? I know both are on the bright side.

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Naw, ebony is like Rosewood only a little clearer in sound. Maple is brighter than most.

I love the ebony board on my Carvin, nice and smooth.

10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Although not on their website, Jeff's now endorsing Cort basses. I think it's fair to say his Dean signature wasn't flying out music store doors.

Peavey > Dean > Cort. $20 says he's playing Silvertones by 2007. ;)

11. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Does Jeff have an attitude or ego problem and that's why he switches endorsements so often?

12. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I have never heard that from anyone before, interesting.

I love the ebony fretboard on my Carvin LB70. Just ordered another Carvin in large part due to the quality feel of the neck, including, of course, the ebony fretboard. :cool:

13. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I've only heard that Ebony chips easily.

Oh I forgot, you can get a custom Cirrus with an Ebony board.

14. Ian Perge

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Oh, that's one hornet's nest I'm not stirring up! ;)

(Do a search containing his name and "metronome", or Google his name with "The Bottom Line" mailing list. That should give you enough info to make an informed opinion.)

15. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    *lol* Alright will do.

16. Ian Perge

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    ...and check your Private Messages as well. ;)

17. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have an ebony fretboard on my Carvin LB75, and I love it. It is very articulate and warm without being harsh or brassy like maple, IMO. I have had Sting Rays with maple boards, Vintage Fenders with Rosewood, Spectors with rosewood, etc. Ebony is a very dense, hard wood with a close grain pattern that is smooth to the touch. Acoustically, I have found that it sits in the "sweet spot" between rosewood and maple. It doesn't chip easily. Try it!

Concerning Jeff Berlin (ducks as the flamethrowers move into position.....) say what you will about his attitude, the man has serious chops. I think Jaco himself said that it ain't bragging if you can back it up...........

18. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    Can chip when fretting, but so can Rosewood & Pau Ferro. Lots of instruments use it, but it's expensive, so you don't see it on too many lower-end instruments.

19. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    It's actually VERY good for frets.

20. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    This has an ebony board (look down to sig) :p