1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretboard radius

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by topper, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Hi all!

What fretboard radius do you typically build? What are the advantages/disadvantages of smaller radius (like 10 or 12 inch) as opposed to larger ones (like 16)?

Thanks!

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I build flat fretboard typically. I prefer the feel. I have done 12 on a guitar that I built. IMO, it just depends what feel you prefer.

3. this question pops up every now and then ...a search might be useful for you.

that said, once you go flat, you won't go back.

4. Well, flat would sure be a lot easier than trying to radius a wenge fingerboard. I'll give it a shot.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I go for flat. Only when I (very seldom...) try to grab an insticate chord, I can see a possible drawback of the flatness. It could be possible that a radius would help unwanted muting...

6. Well, this is the first neck I've ever made, so the simpler construction I can get away with the better. I've honestly never heard of a flat fingerboard for bass. I figured they were all radiused.

I've purchased a wenge fingerboard that is fretless with lines. I wasn't looking forward to radius sanding that and I'm not up to building a radius routing jig. So if I can get away with a flat fingerboard, I'm going for it.

Thanks for the help!