1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretless - Bright Tone

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ChrisPbass, Apr 9, 2010.

1. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    OK. I know this has been discussed many times and I *have* read a bunch on the subject but I'm giving in and starting a new thread anyway. :oops:

I have a Modulus fretless Quantum. I want the sound of BRIGHT round wounds. I've put rounds on at times and have liked the sound but try as I might I can't get used to the feel. There is just too much groove and I guess I don't play enough to get used to the shredding that occurs to my hands.

SO - what is the brightest NON-round string out there?

So far, it seems like Ken Smith Compressors might be the way to go.

2. I don't know much about flatwounds. But it won't take long before your fingers harden up. Play more, problem solved.

Otherwise, groundwounds might be the ticket, from what I've read.

3. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    I kept rounds on for about a month and though my fingers didn't hurt any more I just didn't want to take advantage of sliding around as much as I did/do w/flats. Actually, I've done it twice and have gone back to flats. Both times I've said 'ahhhhh. TI flats....like a cool lake' and of course when I throw on the rounds it's chunk heaven.

4. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    pls 2 help

5. TI Jazz Flats, GHS Brite Flats, and SIT Silencers come to mind.

6. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    hmm. I have the TIJFs on there right now.

7. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    chromes seem bright to me for flats.

8. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    I had chromes before the TI's...maybe I need to suck it up and get some rounds.

9. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    Yeah...you might have to go that route. I'd go with Sunbeams or Dunlop nickels then. Both soft. All my basses with rounds get Dunlops. Incredible strings and the price is killer.

10. The Fender 7150 OEM set (Pure Nickel) are fairly bright and smooth for roundwounds. well, at least for the old ones. I have no idea what the new ones are like. I have a set on my 5 string fretless and the sound uber cool.

11. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    what about compressors?

12. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Sunbeams seem to be very popular on fretless. I have them on my Corvette fretless and they sound great and have plenty of brightness when I need it. I am just a closet bass player who goes out every 6 months to a jam and plays a half an hour a day.