1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless - buy or build?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jefff100, Jul 20, 2012.

1. jefff100

jefff100

Jan 23, 2010
    Central NJ
    I've been toying with the idea of a fretless, possibly based off a jazz or variant.

How difficult to defret yourself? better off to shop for a fretless bass?

I have a Fender Aerodyne P/J that I don't play much any more, plays great but since I bought my Stingray the Fender sits in the closet. I think I might have pulled it out twice in the past 6 months. Fender needs a bridge, and the stock bridge is recessed into the body, making replacement a problem unless its a stock type.

I've also eyed an Ibanez SR1200 that's at a local shop used, with the big single Nordstrand pups. sounds great and I think it would make an awesome fretless. Maybe sell the fender to fund the ibby?

What would you all reccomend?

2. You can buy a fretless neck from Mighty Mite for about $100 US. That's what I did and am waiting for it to arrive.

3. jefff100

jefff100

Jan 23, 2010
    Central NJ
    I never gave much thought as to just buying a different neck for my Aerodyne. Just stumbled across your thread of your squire refinish, looks nice.

food for thought, while i've never refinished a guitar; i used to do a fair amount of woodworking, and after getting tired of using liquid stains for coloring and not having good control, I started using shoe polish. comes in a nice variety of colors and you can control it easily. rub it in light & buff it out before finishing. perhaps some of the serious refinishers might find fault with this, if its only a $100. squire I might give this a go.

4. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Sell the Aerodyne. Someone would be willing to buy it on eBay.
    Take the sales and buy a used fretless. Plenty of "I bought it but rarely used it so I'm selling it now" fretless basses out there.

5. Get ahold of Kevin from Krappy guitars (just a name, they're actually quite nice). I'm ordering one from him, and for a custom handbuilt instrument, I was amazed at what he's charging me.

PM me if you want some deets.

6. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Fretless, cheap? These two also bring WishBass to mind.

Krappy's a Jersey boy and not only is he a bargain but what he will make will astound you. Too many strings isn't in his vocabulary. Different is what he does. And he does it in his basement.

He's the wave of the future. Once all the big busnesses close it will be little guys working in their basements.