Fretless J or P???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Is there a major difference between tones of a fretless Precision bass or a fretless jazz bass??? I'm looking into buying a fretless bass of some sort from SX. I've looked around for other fretless basses with a non-Fender body and more modern look to them, but according to all of the feedback I've received, SX is the only one worth buying.

If you guys could suggest another brand, I'd be very appreciative.

2. In an extremely general non-scientific nutshell...

If you want a honky, barky tone like Jaco, go for a J.

If you want a thumpy, gloopy tone like Rick Danko, go for a P.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The 'classic' fender fretless sound is the Jazz...that bridge pickup is magic for fretless tone. The P is nice but doesn't have the same characteristic...I find the sound a little more 'polite'
  4. :cool: Or you could do what I did. I bought a used '95 AmStd P-Bass, fretless with lines. I added a Lace Sensor J-Bass bridge pup. This bass has some serious tone to it. I can go from deep, thumpy P, to honky, sharp J, and many sounds inbetween. There's always more than one way to skin a cat.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As a P-lover, I'll say a fretless jazz is much more lovable. The fretless P-bass is more of a niche instrument IMO.
  6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The collective recordings of Mr. Tony Franklin would like to disagree with you. ;)
  7. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    i got a fretless p, nice sound, but its up to you what you like.

but my fretless p has a very big bottomed sound, i friggin love it
  8. What Jonki said. It's a very organic sound.. nothing polite about it, unless you want it to be...
  9. +1 I love the sound of my fretless P. even the band loves it... its not... "polite" as someone mentioned... it grinds hard and heavy when pushed, got lots of punch and drone. maybe mine is a bad example though, as it does have some really crazy innards, and a standard P could be completely diferent sounding.