Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Gress, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Don’t now if this is the right place to ask, but:

At the local school music store there is a New MIM Fender Standard Fretless Jazz bass for $329. The list price that the price tag shows $630. It sounds very nice, a very clean smooth Fretless sound. The question is, should I get it? Or should I strive to save money and get an american?

2. If you like it, go for it. That's all there is to it really. If you want it to be more "american" just swap out the bridge, pickups, and tuners, ta-da, you just saved yourself a few hundred bucks.:bassist:

3. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Normally those go for around $450 new, so that is a great deal. I had one for awhile, and was a great bass. I slapped on some round-wound strings and it sang! Did not have to change one component on the bass.

If you want to step up from that, I would say get a CIJ (Japan) '62 reissue jazz fretless. Looks just like the Jaco fretless (not the relic) and is half the cost. That is what I play now. The quality and construction in my opinion is better then most of the MIA jazz basses I have tried. Mine ran me around $700 which included shipping from Japan.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    My MIM Fretless is one of the most amazing fretlesses i've ever played.
    I think it was supposed to be an american, but they screwed up somewhere. It's got a killer rosewood fingerboard, beautiful body, amazing feel on the neck.

I'll post pics soon haha

-Mark

5. I think that's a hell of a deal, I'd jump on it. FYI, you can often find used MIJ fretless Jazz Basses for $300 - $350 on e-Bay, HC or here in the TB classifieds. They have unlined fingerboards; the MIM's have lines. I don't know if that matters or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

6. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I bought a used MIA deluxe for 650. I like the tuners, the active pickups and having a couple extra frets never hurt. I wish it had 24 though :( came with a non molded hard case too.