Fretless with bridge PU - Do you EQ differently?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darwin-bass, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    Definitely a style thing. I seem to run flat, no matter what. If I want more bass I blend in some neck pickup.

2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi n1as :)

The sound is in my fingers! :D

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

idorky likes this.
  3. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have a fretless Fender Jazz. To compensate for the thin sound of a solo'ed bridge pickup, I never solo it completely. I have the neck pickup at about 50% - this adds a little thickness. And to avoid losing some of the frequency response of the neck pickup when at 50%, I installed a treble bleed kit on the volume knob.

Regarding EQ, I have a slight bump in the mids around 800k. That's it.

4. When I played fretless, I used about 75% bridge and 25% neck for the pickup balance. I also boosted mids maybe 50% and bass 25%. Helps you gain a little sharpness to poke through the mix but also thickens a bit. That was my experience anyway.

Bassically Doug likes this.
  5. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Well I actually use the same settings as my fretted basses.
    I have gone through a few pickups that I like and found a tone that really works for me.
    Also I "have learned" how to play slightly different in my technique to also help get the sound I like.
    So answer is NO change of EQ for me.

n1as likes this.
  6. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Relative newb to fretless, but I'm finding I do the exact opposite of my fretted PJ. With that, I go mostly P and dial in the J to taste. With the fretless, I'll go mostly bridge and dial in the neck pickup. The J in my fretless holds its own just fine, while the J in my PJ is tremendously weak by itself.

7. idorky

idorky

Dec 27, 2006
    i gig with the same axe, fretless J passive, amp eq is at 12 o'clock,.... vol on the bridge pup's wide open, tone is wide open, vol on the neck pup's bet 40% ~ 70%, depending,......i move my plucking placement around to get the desired tone :) ... hope this helps...... listen, feel and enjoy the ride :)

lz4005 and Wisebass like this.
  8. Bassically Doug

Bassically Doug

Jul 4, 2018
    I use a BBE Sonic Maximizer to fatten the tone when I favor the bridge pickup.

But, my Roscoe Classic has active or passive mode with a P/J pickup arrangement. I just set the active mode to boost lows, when I favor the bridge pickup. I play normally in passive mode. With the Roscoe Classic bass, you pull the volume knob up for passive or press down for active. I had mine made so the passive tone control is out of the circuit when I switch to active mode. So I have two separate tone profiles, one for active and one for passive.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021