Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless With Roundwonds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by digidealaybb404, Oct 2, 2005.

1. so i just got my lightwave the other day, and it is strung with roundwound. so i am afraid to play it alot, but the question is. it it ok to play my fretless with the roundwounds on it.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What neck wood is it?

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I own a fretless lightwave Bass as well and even tho I use only roundwounds on all my fretlesses I chose to put Thomastik-Infeld acousticore strings on it(if the fingerboard is Gaboon Ebony there would be no serious problem if you chose to use roundwounds)because they sound so nice on this perticular fretless Bass.

4. It is okay - but keep in mind that you will wear the board dramatically, once again depending on the material the string is made out of (stainless steel, so forth...)

I had DR Fatbeams on a fretless for about six months with ample play and it actually wore on the ebony quite a bit. So much so, that I'm having the board refinished.

5. It's fine unless you've got a balsa wood fingerboard or something. ;) That's an exaggeration, but most woods won't get much wear. I use round wounds on my fretless (with rosewood fingerboard) and don't get any damage. It wouldn't have come with them if they weren't okay, right?

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    metal > wood

flat or round wounds... all will eat wood. I've found how you finger the notes is more important than string type for board health.

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I agree and I have never had to have a Gaboon Ebony Fb replaced and I only use roundwound strings(except for my Lightwave,but I'm sure at some point I will put rondwounds on it)when I hear people say that their Gaboon Ebony FB has been replaced I wonder what were they doing for it to be replaced.

8. well the neck on mine is rosewood. and i dont know what the strings that it came with.

9. I use round wounds on my fretless as well, mainly because I want to retain some growl to the sound. There is some wear on the fretboard but not a great deal considering the bass has been played flat out for 5 years.
    Not too sure what the fingerboard material is (damn memory...) but the luthier informed me that it is denser than ebony and infact sinks in water.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    teak?

11. Possibly... its a timber found in Western Australia, not too sure if its localized to there though.

Really should find out, bit embarassing when people sy "woa, nice bass, whats it made out of?" and all I can say is "Errr... wood?"