1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fretless!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Hookha, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    I fill that i need to start play fretless bass.
    but i afraid that fretless bass not fit to all the music styles
    what you think? fretless bass can be fit to all music styles?
    what the limites of fretless bass? except the technique )slap&pop,tapping and etc.)
    can I play every fretted bass line on a fretless!?
    sorry about my spelling,hope you understund!

2. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I wouldn't worry about the limitations of a fretless bass. You CAN slap, pop, and tap a fretless. Check out Michael Manring.

I'm not sure what you mean by playing all the lines on a fretless.

Joe

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

For instance...

4. Sophia digs Mr. Manring.
    :)

5. yes, you can play a fretless in any style of music
    other then technique there really aren't any limits. the only lmits are maybe lacking a fretted tone, and lacking the ease of presicion, you can def slap and tap and all that on a fretless but it will just sound differnt then usual, and yea u can play any fretted bass line on a fretless, but it will probably sound a bit differnt especally with slides :smug:

6. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Alvaro! Hey man, how's it goin'? I saw your slap video on youtube from another thread. Nice work. :bassist:

Joe

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Hey Joe, thank you for your comment, man! I'm glad to talk to you again and hope your interest in latin music is still alive. :)

8. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Absolutely! I've been really working on my jazz chops recently, but I'm still lovin' the latin vibe.

Right now I am working on an all bass arrangement of Autumn Leaves. I recorded a bass line using my URB. Next, I recorded the melody on my TRB1006. Then, I put down the chordal material (guide tones). Now, I'm working on solo ideas and itchin' to hit the record button when it all comes together. I can't wait.

Take care,
    Joe

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Sounds really interesting, man. Are you using fretlesses?

10. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Nope. My TRB1006 is fretted; however, my URB is fretless. ;)

Joe

11. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    1 more question:

its fine to play with eound wound strings on a fretkess bass until iwill buy a flat wound strings?

12. Round-Wound sounds GREAT on fretless; only problem is that over a LONG period of time, the Round-Wound strings will scratch into the fingerboard (moreso on a rosewood board than an ebony board), and you'll need to get the fingerboard worked on to fix that...

... but that is of no immediate concern; Yes, you can use the Round-Wounds :)

13. Dude your nick made me laugh. Well done.

14. Happy to be of service, RiseOf :)

I see you've studied with Roger Mac & Neil Kennedy; good stuff!

Did you attend Box Hill T.A.F.E.?

15. I've never studied with Roger but I've seen him play live, as well as I have Geoff Achison / Souldigger stuff (CD & DVD) at home that he plays on.

As for Neil, yeah I was at BoxHill for a couple of years, YEARS ago! Do you know Neil? I was not playing bass back then though. Most of the work I did while under Neil was production / sound engineering. But he left a lasting impression on music and the bass.

16. Hey, RiseOf

Yeah, I know Neil... cool guy

And Roger too... Oh YEAH, Achison & the SoulDiggers = AWSOME!

I've seen 'em a couple of times at St. Andrews, plus I've got that DVD too!

Great, GREAT players, ALL of 'em! :bassist:

17. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Round wound strings are good for fretless. Again, check out Michael Manring. ;)

Joe

18. mokeanL

mokeanL

Jul 5, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    make sure u get an ebony fretboard tho

19. Rushlover13

Rushlover13

Jul 7, 2009
    My two cents...

1. Don't pick with a fretless (i'm pretty sure everyone here knows that)
    2. DON'T USE ROUNDWOUND STRINGS UNLESS YOU WANT TO KILL YOUR FINGERBOARD!!!

20. Bottoms_Up!

Bottoms_Up! For the record, I don't love Raymond. Gold Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I don't. Excuse my ignorance, but I've been meaning to ask for a while if this is even possible.

I'm a pick guy. I have ZERO fingerstyle skills (the price I paid for being a 14 year old Squire fanboy way back when I picked up the instrument :meh:). I have been curious about trying a fretless for $hits and giggles.

On the flipside, at 46, I have been meaning to start from scratch and maybe take a few lessons in fingerstyle. In the meantime, I've been curious about picking on a fretless.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but are there any further thoughts on this?