1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

frets, 20, 22 or 24?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pauldebass, Oct 11, 2009.

1. pauldebass

pauldebass

May 8, 2006
    Most Leo Fender basses (Fender, G&L maybe not Musicman) are 20 frets. Most others seem to be 22 except those fancy uptown basses which are 24 (i think Sadowsky basses are 21). I'm mostly curious if folks find a tonal difference between them and particularly the 20 vs 22. Carvin just came out with a bass designed by Sekou Bunch and he insisted that the bass be 20 frets. I found an interesting article about 24 frets for guitars in this article: http://www.edroman.com/techarticles/scalelength.htm
    I think the 20 fret necks seem to have more punch and the 24 have more sustain. Curious on others feedback, even technical reasons why. oops i posted this in the wrong forum apologies to the moderator, can't figure how to move, thanks, Paul

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This would probably go better in Basses, but 20 is my favorite. My main basses at the moment have 22, but I prefer 20.

3. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland

4. I like the feel of 20 best, & don't really need the full 2 octaves for 99.99 % of my playing. That said, I have several 20 & 24 fret necked basses.

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

24 for me.

6. Even numbers = bad luck

23 for me

7. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    AS many as possible =P

Hah, ah seriously I like to have two octaves, I wish I could find a p bass with 24 frets!

8. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    21 for me

9. Tropic

Tropic

May 19, 2009
    Woodbridge, Va
    Too bad Fender doesn't make their 24 neck basses anymore.

I like my full 2 octaves as well so 24 for me.

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Technically speaking, the pitch at the 24th fret is the first note of the third octave, so a true two-octave fingerboard should have 23 frets, as on the Kubicki Ex Factor.

But I understand you. I feel the same and that's why I like 24 frets. :)

11. tbone409

tbone409

Feb 17, 2007
    kenosha, wi
    The only way in which the number of frets affects tone in any detectable way is if it affects pickup placement. Other than that you can chalk up the effect on tone to any number of things not the least being electronics, strings or bass to bass variation.

having said that, one of my basses has 4 strings and 21 frets and another 6 strings and 22.

12. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    I prefer 24.
    My Schecter is 24 frets is my main gigging bass.
    My Squier VMJ is 20, and is my backup/around the house bass.
    When it comes to my main gigging bass, it will always be a 24.

13. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    I like 24... But just to be annoying, I'm going to say 36.

14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    22 or more, is my prefrence.

15. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    23 frets seems actually like a very workable model - you don't have to go all the way up to 24, but you can still get that high G via harmonic.

16. There has been many a time that I've been playing one of my Fender's and go up the neck for a little run or fill and......(eek!!) run out of frets!!I hate that.So,24 for me.I've never been one to sit and study the tonal differences between 20,21,22,or,24 fret basses.
    Anybody have an opinion on the tonal differences??

17. 24 is an absolute minimum for me.

18. I don't claim that there is any tonal effect of fret count but I'm convinced that slap feels better to me on a 20. I think the strings are more responsive/flexible closer to the middle of the speaking/vibrating length. Let the flames commence. :)

19. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    24 frets is my favorite.

20. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Uh dude, I think this has already been addressed:

I agree... :meh:

MM