Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frets & humidity

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gillento, Feb 22, 2006.

1. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I discovered that on one of my basses (maple neck/fingerboard) the frets "go over" the edge of the board.
    I bought this bass new in 1998. I have been playing it regularly until 2003. Then I have been uisng it as a backup.
    Has the wood been shrinking? Was the wood "too new"?
    What can I do?

2. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hello Gillento,

I had exactly the same problems with my Roscoe only 4 months old when the frets started to be quite rough til they frankly came over the edge of the neck. My fingerboard is birdseye maple. In fact that maple has retracted (maybe cause to winter or change in weather).
    The guies at Roscoe said it happens sometimes with certain woods.

That problem is easily fixable by a good qualified luthier or repareman who will fill the edge of each frets.
    The operation with a light leveling of the frets and a complete set up of my bass has coast me 100 € and 4 days without my baby.

Good luck

Sheers

Shiveringbass

3. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
  4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its an easy fix with a flat sided file..not sure the technical name for these.