1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

frettless bassist, this is for u

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pierreganseman, Sep 17, 2008.

1. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    That is definitely a valid point. However, for me, on upright and fretless, intonation is number 2, after feel. Feel is something that really can't be practised in a traditional sense, so during my practise sessions, intonation takes a good bit of my time. I like to really focus in on what I'm doing, technically. I work on other stuff, constantly---but I make sure that the new stuff is in tune.

Different strokes et cetra et cetra. Neither of us are right or wrong.

2. Robin UK

Robin UK

Feb 1, 2007
    +1

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1
    The JND in lower registers is much larger, though I don't have the literature in front of me to cite--I'm sure google can tell us.

In any case, you are probably aware that frequency does not represent pitch in any linear way. One "cent" is simply 1/100th of a semi-tone based on the standard ((12th root of 2)*f) + f algorithm for calculating the size of an equal tempered semi-tone at any given frequency, of course then divided by 100 to get the "cent" in HZ.

In other words, HZ don't tell you much about pitch except for a basic "region," within a given octave and perhaps "which end," high or low that region. :D

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I agree, for the most part, but there a limits to how much slack I can cut myself.

Oh, and BTW, if you want to talk intonation issues in a serious way, we have to be either in the upper register of the upright, or playing arco, or playing chords in the middle/upper registers of the fretless. To me those situations, especially in exposed passages REQUIRE dead on intonation.

No amount of groove can hide the ugliness of some of the clams I've made! :p :p :p

Oh, derrrr.....clearly we agree on this! :D :D :D

5. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Yawn... just play the darn thing!

6. In response to vibrato: it should be used when vibrato is warranted and NOT as a substitute for good intonation.

Having a better groove vs. better intonation: why the hell does TB turn dang near everything into a debate that you can only have one?! Having both is the difference between playing a tune and nailing a tune. Most often, guitarists grossly underestimate the value of ear training and they're easy to pick out because their bends are way more than a few cents flat on a normal basis.