1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

From mediocre to mind blowing in one year...Possible?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Smogcity, Aug 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Smogcity

Smogcity

May 12, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Ok, tomorrow I'm going to start a one year experiment..

Can an 50 year old player that always skated by on the basics break through a lifetime of accepting mediocracy and achieve excellence?

Back story; on a whim a few months ago I bought several sight reading books, the James Jameson book, the James Brown Rhythm section book and a few others and have made HUGE strides in learning to read and raising the bar with my playing.

Wondering if I can go all the way and achieve what has always eluded me caused me to brainstorm. What I really need is a "Rabbi" to help me. I hit up the most insperational LA bass player this morning asking if he was taking any private students.

So I'm starting lessons with Sean Hurley tomorrow... Pretty stoked! :)

2. I bet you can achieve a lot in one year. I'm 50, too, and no great shakes, but I see improvement when I'm diligent. Let us know how it goes!

3. 50 You say. That's about the time I had my mid life crises..... During that time I did gain some new understands.

Good luck.

4. Good luck man, and let us know how it goes

Smogcity likes this.
  5. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I am sure that with your attitude and some great guidance you'll accomplish quite a lot.

As it turns out, I find that the more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know. I hope I'm not becoming a cliche'. :)

6. Private betterment and lessons will certainly contribute to making one a better player, but don't overlook the experience that can only be obtained with others, like ensemble playing, balance, and timing, not to mention gig experience, listening skills, and genre exposure.

7. Good luck to you! I'm 52 and just started playing in April. I'm hoping to achieve mediocrity in a year. :)

8. Smogcity

Smogcity

May 12, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I've been gigging like crazy and have a great feel but I handicapped myself by never learning to read in my teens and just sticking to what was comfortable. I think its time to push myself and see what I'm capable of!

9. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    W.T.F :jawdrop:

Did you have that ready to go or do you have much too much time on your hands?? :roflmao:

rtav, krimo, El-Bob and 2 others like this.
  10. So anyway, if you've got your health, you've got everything. Go for it!

El-Bob and Smogcity like this.
  11. Get started now. You'll only need to practice 27 hours/day to pull it off.
    ;)

12. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    jack daniels + cut and paste = lame post

deleted to make the thread less anoying to read

anyway if you practice your ass off and you have a bit of talent and you don't die from a random malady then I say yes

13. Been there, done that. Thanks for putting a better spin on it.

basss likes this.
  14. trisonic

trisonic

Oct 21, 2015
    I started playing Bass for the first time when I was 64, last year. I have been playing Guitar since 1965, however, BUT never bothered with the theory of music. I’m trying to rectify that omission with Bass. Interestingly when I pick up a Strat, say, after grappling with bass, the guitar seems easy (physically) by comparison....
    I wished I had started with Bass now - it’s a lot easier to find your way around the fretboard when the strings are all in 4ths.

Best, Pete.

BlueMINI, RickyWoo, BAG and 1 other person like this.
  15. K, I'm gonna say this, I had a buddy that was a virtuoso on piano, classically trained from the age of 3 and he picked up guitar at the age of 16. Now he could do mind blowing things by the age of 20, but he was not a mind blowing player. He practiced 4-8 hours a day consistently during that time and took two years of classical guitar training plus some privates on contemporary guitar. He didn't become mind blowing until he learned how to play with other musicians at 21 years old.
    So I will say this, can you become mind blowing in one year, maybe. Can you get closer to being the player you want to be, absolutely. 1 year can help you take and make sense of a ton of separately top notch techniques and 10 years of theory. But if you don't have that already then plan on 27 hour days like the other guy said.

Smogcity likes this.
  16. With the right plan and dedication you can get waaayyyy better in 12 months.

Mind Blowing? Who’s mind? Your mediocre talents probably blow the mind of the complete beginner who thinks they will never be “giging like crazy”. It is a relative thing.

Some famous dude said something along the lines of "being a musician is the endless pursuit of getting better" You’ll definitely be better in a year, but will you be “good-enough” in your own eyes? Probably not, but there’s another year after this one.

17. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Good going! You can accomplish a huge amount in a year if you really put the time in. Excited for you.

RickyWoo and Smogcity like this.
  18. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Go for it.

At worst you miss your goal and instead of making it to mind blowing you have to settle for awesome.

You WILL improve and likely make great strides if you work at it.

And I love Sean Hurley's playing.

carsbybigd likes this.
  19. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Plucky The Bassist and ERIC31 like this.
  20. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    The answer is "Yes" as long as you stay away from TalkBass for a year. It tends to steal away some...most...ok, ALL practice time.