1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Frustration With Fellow TB'er

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by Acoop, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    First off, I don't want to be that guy. ... Yes, this is a rant, a rant about my frustration dealing with one of our own TB bass brothers. ... Let's start at the begining.

Last weekend a fellow TB'er posted an amp I was interested in. He wanted a certain amount, shipped anywhere in lower 48, so, I offered $20 less and he said yes. So, right away, I PayPal'd, his own request, the funds to him. ... Hours later he complains he's not shipping it because I didn't pay him enough money. I double check and I did send the right amount. ... Hours later. ... He says he's not paying the PayPal cost. ... I said, "What? you requested PayPal and that's what they charge to stay in business." ... We finally agree, he'd ship the amp Monday, send me the tracking number and then I'd send him another $20 to cover shipping. ... Thursday, I email asking what's happening with the amp and he says he's waiting for the $20. ... Which is about 4% of what I've already sent him. ... I've PM'd him, I've emailed him and texted across country to him, with little or no response. ... I'm guessing he's a kid and has no idea how this world works. ... I'm guessing next he'll say "I can't figure out how to refund your money."
    To fellow TB'ers
    #1 If you're going to post in classifieds read the instructions first.
    #2 PayPal: It charges a fee for this service the buyer doesn't.
    #3 Email/PM'd/Texts: Respond as quickly as possible if someone has sent you one of these. It's called respect and everyone wants it and expects it.
    #4 Your word is your bond. ... I think this is the hardest lesson anyone can learn. What good are we as musicians if we don't do what we say we will do. ... If you join a band doing Led Zepplin and half way through the set you decide to play Kiss what good are you? ... Tower of Power said it best, 'Don't Change Horses in The Middle of The Stream'. ...

I hope some young player reads this and gets it.

DaveDeVille likes this.
  2. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    If he hasn't shipped the amp, I'd ask for a refund. If he doesn't provide one in a timely fashion, get PayPal involved. Unless it's some rare amp you can't find anywhere else, you can look for it elsewhere.

Bad azz tone, GregC and pjbassist like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I read the whole post. But that guy lost me at changing his mind over shipping. He agreed to a price. He should stick to it.

Does the guy have feedback here?

DaveDeVille, GregC and pjbassist like this.
  4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I would ask one of the Moderators to give the member a PM. Off the top of my head I am not sure which ones are assigned to the classifieds.

@john turner has been helpful to me in the past. Plus he has a sick avatar :D

The inclusion of a third party's unbiased opinion may help to shine a light on the less than righteous behavior of the member.

5. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Remember, it's verboten for a seller to ask for Paypal fees:::
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"NO FEE" --> THREAD DELETED | "NO FEE" in PM -> BANNED
    • WE DO NOT allow pay pal no fee payments, or any permutation thereof, at talkbass.
    • WE DO NOT allow multiple prices/charging the buyer for the paypal fee, or any permutation thereof at talkbass.
    EXAMPLE : since the term "net to me" can imply different pricing structures based on payment method, this phrasing falls under the stated prohibition, and is not allowed.

IF YOU PUT ANY VARIANT of these in your for sale thread, it will be deleted without notice, and if you make a habit of it you will lose access to our classifieds.

NOTE : IF YOU MAKE IT REQUIRED of an interested buyer via private message and then attempt to upcharge them if they don't comply, or treat them differently in any way (such as proceeding to sell to someone else), you may lose your access to this website permanently. attempting to circumvent our rules in this manner is not appreciated and will not be tolerated.

requesting gift/fee-free payment options from a buyer is a violation of paypal's usage agreement and leaves the buyer with no protections should things go south.

this is already in the rules, but i'm hoping making a thread about it will make it a bit more obvious. you know, for all those folks who are still doing it despite it being a rule here, and having been a rule here for a long time.

IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO HANDLE PAYPAL FEES then specifically state that you will not accept paypal at all in your sale.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The only thing you should've said here was "Please refund my payment. Thanks." Then you'd be done with that nonsense.

7. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    So, a few weeks back, a fellow TB'er by the name of Kellymack lits a Tecamp 500 he has for sale, in the TB Classifieds for $470. I offer him $450 and he says yes. ... I Paypal the funds then, the next day he says I didn't pay him enough. I double check and it was the agreed amount $450. ... I email him and have to tell this kid, "You do know Palpay costs you money right?" ... He still doesn't get it. ... Finally, we agree that I'll send him $20, in the mail and he'll send the amp out. ... Four days later I ask, "What's the tracking info?" Only to find out he hasn't sent the amp, he's waiting for the mail to bring him $20. ... I said, I've already sent you the agreed amount and I'm tired of this please refund my money. ... At this point, I think I'm dealing with a child, 6 or 7 who knows but, he surprises me again. ... The guy doesn't hit refund he hits pay seller this amount $433. ... So, now he's ripped me off for $16.50. I ask for the money and he ignores me. ... A word to the wise stay as far away from Kellymack as possible.

OldDog52 likes this.
  8. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    That's very odd behavior. He's got 100% Feedback. Something's not right.

Edit: Also, you agreed to pay another $20 via mail...so it seems right that the seller ships the amp when payment is received.

9. Thats weird, I just did a deal with him this month. He bought my Lakland that was posted, very upper level bass and a flawless transaction.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Sounds like honest confusion (or dumb mistake) on the seller's part, and like he wants to make good. Are you jumping the gun on this one? Or am I misunderstanding something?

11. Kellymack

Kellymack

Jan 7, 2011
    I attempted to be the seller. I sold the amp for $450 but only received $429. The buyer says he’d snail mail me $20, but never did... Ron the buyer requested a refund from PayPal. I received the request from PayPal and agreed, I clicked on refund... My $429 disappeared. I didn't think anything more about it after the refund. I think Ron didn’t follow PayPal’s procedure as their policy is to refund transfer fees along with the refund.
    Of course I’d sell the amp for the agreed price, but it didn’t happen...

12. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Did you agree to a Pay Pal transaction?

13. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    Kellymack's reply "
    "I attempted to be the seller. I sold the amp for $450 but only received $429. The buyer says he’d snail mail me $20, but never did... Ron the buyer requested a refund from PayPal. I received the request from PayPal and agreed, I clicked on refund... My $429 disappeared. I didn't think anything more about it after the refund. I think Ron didn’t follow PayPal’s procedure as their policy is to refund transfer fees along with the refund.
    Of course I’d sell the amp for the agreed price, but it didn’t happen..."

Sorry Dude, I've talked to Paypal and they confirmed you hit send and not refund. ... So, that's two times you screwed up, 1) agreeing to $450 then not sending the amp because you don't know Paypal costs the seller and 2) I requested "refund" and you hit send money and now you're lying about it. ... Why are you lying I'm the guy who got screwed on the deal and it cost me $16.50. ... As far as I'm concerned you screwed and you still owe.

You remember sending me this message?

"I can’t copy my paypal, but it says I paid $20.10 fee... therefore it’s $429.

I don’t want to sell the puma for 429 then pay $20 for shipping...

I need $450 in my hand"
    Kellymack

14. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You're calling someone out in public for $16.50?

15. Nice post......if it made any sense :eyebrow: The only thing I could get from it is that you're both cheap as dirt.

petrus61 and bolophonic like this.
  16. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I don't know all the details here, but I can't say that I wouldn't NOT call someone out if they screwed me over for any amount. I got someone permanently banned from TB (in part) over the way they handled a botched $5 transaction.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  17. I'm confused.

18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'd pursue my $16.50 to the end of the Earth and I'd get TB management involved if it was a TB deal, but I'd keep it private for that amount of money. I'd leave appropriate feedback with as much detail as I can put in feedback, but that's as public as it would get for under twenty bucks.

19. IMG_3168.JPG

20. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    From what I've read, it sounds like the seller was trying to circumvent the "No Fee" rule..