1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FS-FUNKY RUSSIAN BASS

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by lowphatbass, Jan 16, 2012.

1. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    This bass was purchased in what is now the Ukraine, formerly it was USSR. I don't know how old this bass is. It has a lot of scratches and swirl marks, and some dings, chips and even a paint crack/fracture or two. It also appears that the tailpiece has been moved, or that this bass may have had a different tailpiece at some point earlier in it's life. Originally this bass used a 5-pin plug, I've carefully removed the 5-pin jack and soldered-in a standard 1/4" barrel jack. Nothing irreversible has been done and the original Jack and screws with be included with the bass. It appears that a cosmetic neck plate/cover is also missing from the bass.

This is a pretty unique instrument, it's got a pretty raw tone...sort of like a Rick with lipstick pickups. The truss rod works fine, the tuners look like they came off of a MiG and are reverse. The bass has a zero fret. The frets in general I think could use a little working, for whatever reason the A string that is on the bass is tapered on the tuner side across the zero fret so the string is lower than it it would/should be and is buzzing. Above the 12th fret the playability can be fussy on this bass as well, I think that it could be ironed-out with the right set of strings complimented by an appropriate set-up and perhaps a bit of light fret work.

If you are looking for a bass with character and originality this my be the one. Asking price drop...$225 shipped now!!

Paypal/Conus ONLY Please!!

Thank You

img2310m. img2312wv. img2288n.

2. Oh, man! :) It's really old bass. The headstock is like URAL basses. :) I was playing some these basses when I started playing bass. :) But Ive never seen such a model like this, it's really rare. :) Never thought to see something like that here. :)

3. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yep, this is a Ural bass, although it may have had some "work" done in the past.

img2314w. [​IMG]

4. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Funky weird bass bump.

5. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    Wish I was not about to buy a house...

6. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Thanks for the bump.

The burst on this thing is pretty cool, matching headstock too.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions, make offers, etc...

img2322t. [​IMG]

7. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    I bought a tuba while in Kiev... And I love funky unusual instruments... That thing just looks cool... What're the buttons below the neck pup?

8. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    "The bass sounds low, but not like bass, it's just low. You can describe as McCartney somewhere from 1964 heard through an radio with 2" speaker."

Anyone else laugh at that?

Late night munchies bump

9. ciubz

ciubz

Jan 30, 2005
  10. "CheesyGuitars for the win" bump! If it's odd, odds are they've got it on their site. Sweet bass.

11. Alxnm

Alxnm

Aug 2, 2011
    historically valuable piece

12. Хороший бас! Стратегический объект! Его можно собрать и отрегулировать используя лишь гвоздь и нож, а почти любую поломку можно исправить с помощью листа бумаги, канцелярской скрепки и двух спичек.

Извините за русский язык, но я не смог подобрать к этому инструменту иностранные слова.

:bag:

13. Bottoms_Up!

Bottoms_Up! For the record, I don't love Raymond. Gold Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Truss-Wheel at the Heel Win!

14. Haha!:D

15. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    bumping it!

16. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Here's what the "free translator" said:

"Good bass! Strategic object! It it is possible to collect and adjust using only a nail and a knife, and almost any breakage it is possible to correct lea a paper, a writing paper clip and two matches.

Excuse for Russian, but I could not pick up foreign words to this tool."

17. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Happy to hear about offers/trades!! Headed to the 'Bay soon....you know you want this!

18. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    34" scale?

19. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I think it may be 32"....I'll double check when I get home.

20. I played this bass when I was 15 - with the original 5-pin DIN connector. Ah, those were the times...