1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(Fully) Reformed Guitarists Unite!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JoZac21, Apr 9, 2010.

1. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I started on the guitar when I was 7ish... and picked up the bass as a second instrument when I was a 11. About 6 months ago, I switched to the bass full-time (I'm now 24), and I finally feel at home with my instrument (although I had gained a reputation as a good guitar player, I never really loved the thing).

Yesterday at band practice, my drummer had this to say this to me:

"You don't sound like a guitar player who switched to bass... you sound like a bass player." The rest of the group agreed.

As bizarre of a statement as that is, I can't help but take it as a big complement. :bassist:

Just wanted to hear from other converts... why'd you make the switch to the low end? Was it an easy transition? Are you "happier" now? etc.

2. Tom and I have been playing with the same Country band for 10 years. I'm on rhythm guitar, he is on electric bass. The rest of the story; Tom has been playing the organ at a nursing home each Thursday for years. The organ died so he started playing rhythm guitar and accompany his vocals. That was going fine, however, he needed a bass to back him up.

So..... I'm on bass and he is on rhythm guitar. Switching from rhythm guitar to bass was easy enough. R-5 came quickly. Chord tones followed so the basics of how to play bass also came quickly. www.studybass.com was/is a great help. Same kind of songs with both bands so grabbing a I IV V and changing with the chord changes is the same on bass as rhythm guitar, I'm not strumming the chord now just using the chord's notes and building a groove. Augmenting Tom's vocal and comping laying down a steady beat.

Playing well, now that will take time. Yes we old rhythm guitar guys fill our bass lines too full of stuff.

Am I happy? Yes. I still play rhythm guitar 4 to 6 gigs a month and then bass each Thursday. I enjoy both. I also enjoy keyboard, clarinet, sailing, sculling, exercising at the gym with the other grey headed guys and gals, ham radio and the Kiwanis Club. Retirement is great if you have enough toys.

3. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I played rhythm guitar before bass and I can say that I feel at home on bass in a way that I never did playing guitar. And I think there is definitely a difference between playing bass guitar and playing bass. I have friends who can wail on a guitar and try those same licks on bass and it sounds cool but in the band setting it sounds awful (not that I would tell them that). I'm sure I'm over simplifying it and I'm sure to get flamed but I truly believe, all ******** aside, our role is to be fundamental and supportive and to provide depth to the sound, not to be ooohed and aaahed over. To give it a soul, so to speak. I think that is why so many of us end up as producers, because we get what its all about - the song.

Who is the most famous bass player of all time? (I'm talking pop-culture wise not our crazy little circle.) Paul McCartney of course. Do you think most people would identify Paul McCartney as a Bass God. Hell most people who arent musicians probably dont even know he plays bass. That is our life, our calling. I'm happy to do it and Im glad I found it.

4. Joelthefrog1

Joelthefrog1

Apr 16, 2010
    I like the Sustain

Triple string trees right behind the nut to keep the nut pressure incredibley high