1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fun/Cheap Pedalboard Project

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DagoMaino, Mar 20, 2013.

1. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    Here is my take on a Gorm pedal board. It's constructed from Ikea shelving (about $10), $10 in hardware, some paint, and the most expensive part- Velcro--- all in all, about $30 total. It's decently lightweight, the dimensions of a Pedaltrain Pro, and pretty darn sturdy. I designed it to have adjustable tilt, compartment underneath for power supply and cable storage, and easier access to cabling... and of course, I had to add IKEA badging for fun.

Not a bad little afternoon project.

[​IMG]

2. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Wow that is nice, you should build another, taking pics each step of the process, and post it up along with the plans and dimensions of the parts... and then send me the completed board as a birthday gift (5/16). ;-)

3. the pic doesn't work for me...

4. Mmmmm, I second that you put up plans for it ;]

5. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I too would like to know what you did. I just picked up the large Gorm to do this. Was not sure if I should add an angle to it.

What are you planning to do to transport it, if anything?

6. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    I wish I would have taken pics, cause I pretty much just made it up as I went...

Bought two shelves (sold separately from the complete unit)

Used 1/2 of one shelf upside down for the base, used the remaining slats from the other half for the back plate and inside support.

Inside support runs length-wise and has an adjustment bar that I can slide up if I desire more incline.

Hinged the base to the top at the mid-point.

A handful of L brackets for added strength along the back plate (in case I add a handle) and inside support.

Paint, rubber feet, and velcro.... and that pretty much sums it up.

I was going to mount a Furman conditioner inside but found that it would limit my storage space so I just mounted a power strip (for the dreaded 12v) and my One Spot powers everything else.

Spent more time waiting for paint to dry than constructing the whole thing.

7. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Cool nice job. I like it.
    I have an old briefcase as my board. I got a roll of industrial strength velcro for the pedals. Not as tidy as yours but cheap & easy alternative.

8. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    I built it really close to the Pedaltrain Pro size so that I could just buy one of their gig bags ($75 new) if I can't figure something else out... I also found a SKB mixer case used for a reasonable price...

Any other ideas are welcome... maybe I'll go peruse the aisles at IKEA again... ha ha

9. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    My impression was that the Gorm comes in ~30"x20" and ~30"x12". It looks to me like you cut the large one down to ~30"x16", close to the 32"x16" of a PT Pro. Accurate?

10. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    Yes, You are correct. I cut the last slat off (4"). This is why I'm not a mechanic, left over parts and I forgot where they came from... ha ha

11. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Love it!

12. nolageek

nolageek

Jan 5, 2011
    Washington, DC
    I'm working on my Gorm pedalboard and I have to ask - where did you get the Ikea logo plate? LOVE that touch. :)

13. theLibrarian

theLibrarian Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Portland Oregon
    Looks sharp. Nice work!