Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funkee's recurring ***????

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Funkee1, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Those who know me from another forum will know that I do a thing where I point out things I don't understand who thought were good ideas.

Some past winners include: "Garfield: The movie", The Maybach (A car), the new Scion that will be introiduced this year, you know, things like that. Stuff that justy makes you scratch your head, and go ***???

Here's the latest one.: The Rock is an OK guy, but Why remake this film to begin with? And is he really the best person for the role?

I give you Walking Tall.
    http://www.walkingtallmovie.com/home.html

2. I have seen that trailer before...im not too impressed.
    Im a firm believer that wrestlers should never act in movies unless its a movie about wrestling....and even that is stretching it. :meh:

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The entertainment industry overall is in "remake" mode.

I tire of this attempt to "camp-out 60's and 70's shows "Starsky & Hutch", "Charlie's Angels" , and "Walking Tall" are examples I can think of. As if they "didn't get it right" the first time. It's not like those shows or films were anything special to begin with. Those days are gone, enjoy the re-runs.

I wish the industry would develope their own ideas. The same thing is going on in music with re-makes of songs we've come to know and love as they were.

It's O.K. to re-do stuff, but it seems more an attempt to "get on the map" commercially rather than anything related to an appreciation of the original.

There just seems to be little, if any talent developement by "Big Entertainment" in Movies or Music. The Actors and Musicians have to make a splash or they're gone.

And since when do good ideas or songs have to be splashy?

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I gotta disagree with you here. Have you ever seen John Carpenters "They Live" or "Hell Comes to Frog Town" both starring Rowdy Roddy Piper? Classic cinema there, seriously :D.

Classic lines too.
    "I've come to kick @ss and chew bubblegum and I'm fresh out of Bubblegum". :p

5. P. Aaron

But "They Live" (a FINE Flick!) was at least its own thing, and cliche'd but original. Re-making "Walking Tall" seems pretty desperate to me.

It's like Hollywood is throwing their furniture into the fireplace.

6. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I really liked the original Walking Tall. It will be interesting to see if they can recapture the "magic" of the first film.
    The Rock is an interesting choice for the lead. I have to admit that I think his charisma comes through on screen. His movies have not been great thus far. But, I blame that more on the writing than his acting. I would like to see what he could do with a well written movie.

7. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    I'm not too crazy about this guy either, but wouldn't Vin diesel be a better choice for Buford Pusser?

They are alos remaking Billy Jack, with Keanu Reeves, BTW....... :rolleyes:

8. P. Aaron

WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?WHY?

9. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    +1 :rolleyes:

10. P. Aaron

...on second thought, maybe the DogStar gig ain't payin' too well.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey bro.....Arsenio Hall did this back on the 80's. Take notice that he is no longer around. Term here would be...."played out".

-Mike

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    To my consternation, they're making another Resident Evil movie, and Jim Carrey is YET AGAIN trying to prove he can be a dramatic actor.

Also in my "***? STFU!" file, I'm utterly at a loss as to why anyone would want anyone OTHER than Ron Pearlman to play Hellboy. Fortunately Guillermo Del Toro lobbied for him, and got him, but c'mon, who ELSE could possibly be Hellboy?

I'm also wondering why, with all the comic movies, nobody's optioned Deadpool, the merc with a mouth.

13. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    His was a little different. It was "things that make you go Hmmmm?". Mine is more Things that make you go "What Idiot came up with this?????"

That Adler 17 string bass is another of my ***'s by the way.......

14. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Word. :cool:

I'm not sure about this one. There are a lot better and more deserving little known comic characters out there that diserve there own flick. Hellboy's the first though so hopefully thre will be more. I'm thinking Evil Ernie by Darkhorse might be exceptionally cool. Elric always might have been interesting to see also even though I'm not as big a fan of him. :meh:

Sadly though, I think most people who would be interested in something like Hellboy have no idea that it was adapted from a comic book. :crying:

15. My *** is an common one... With all the creativity in this world, why do they havta rehash crap. Is it like: "yeh well, we did this 20 years ago, they would have forgotten it by now". Same with music, That "she'e so high" tune isnt even 5 years old, and some squeezer has released it again already. Man it all stinks, and you just want to throw your t.v. out the window. Any Big time band who has to play a cover of someone else's music doesn't rate to me. they dont get my respect at all.

16. Somebody redid the Tal Bachman song? In the spirit of this thread, ***?! Eh, at least it's not as bad as Melissa Etheridge covering "Breathe"...the original Greenwheel version has barely been out a year, if that! :rolleyes: Though I wasn't around at the time, wasn't this practice more common in the Motown era (eg multiple versions of Ain't No Mountain High Enough, I Heard It Through The Grapevine, etc coming out around the same time)?

17. On the subject of rehashing... i dunno if anyone else heard this...but apparantly they are bringing back Mr. Ed the talking horse...with that George Jefferson guy as the voice of the horse.
    Makes me glad i dont have cable or watch tv, thats for sure :meh:

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Another ***:

Lilo and Stich and Scooby Doo were released silmultaneously. The former was vastly superior in every way imaginable, but was utterly dwarfed by Scooby. This should not be.

Same with Iron Giant. It was released side-to-side with... The King And I, I think. It also was pretty much a box office flop, even though it was also superior.

"There's no accounting for taste." Right, right, but it's high time we account for COMMON FREAKING SENSE! Stupid moviegoing public...

19. I guess if the sheep keep handing over the money to the "movie Tycoons" well hell, next there will be a movie of someone farting in a microphone for 3 hours, and the "critics" will get a powerfat over it, if they are paid enough money to "endorse" it. ( yes I guess you are wondering, are sheep using money these days........... :D )

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think a more pertinent question: what do the sheep call their money? Sheeples?