Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Future Bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SWiTCH, Jul 20, 2004.

1. SWiTCH

SWiTCH

Jul 20, 2004
    Hi guys.
    Today, on a whim, I decided to take up bass guitar. I've been playing guitar for years now, and I'd like to expand my horizons. I record music onto my computer with guitars and drums, and a bass would complete my songs.

So anyway, I went on ebay looking to buy, but I realized I don't know anything about basses.
    I don't know the good brands and how many strings I want and what not.

I was hoping you guys could tell me what the good brands are. Maybe the Gibson equivalent in the bass world (think SG).
    I'm not looking for a beginners guitar because I have lots of experience with regular guitars, so that should give me a good head start. Something under 1000 bucks, so I can get get a used one on ebay in the 400-600 dollar range.

So if you guys could give me some brand names, or even specific guitars, it would help out a lot. And if you're feeling especially helpful, I could also use some info on bass amps and effects. Thanks a lot.

By the way, if your'e wondering what kind of music I'll be using this bass for, it's punk rock (NOFX anyone?).

So... Yeah, sorry for the ignorance.

2. Hmm, you have quite a few choices in this price range. American Fenders are one, P for a fat, mid-rangey tone and J for a brighter growl. G&L's are another good choice, with one or two humbuckers for punch (and tonal variety on the 2 pickup model). Lakland Skylines can be had for that price too, among others, and are highly regarded around here.

If it were my choice, I'd go with the Fender. P Bass for pure oldschool punk rock tone, or J bass for more tonal variety and a more modern sort of sound. Fenders have been used from the Ramones to AFI, and some bassists like Randy Bradbury of Pennywise use Fender clones by Ibanez or whatever. I'd personally suggest the J in case you want some extra tone options, and possibly for different styles of music, but the P is amazing for punk.

3. I would recomend a 5 string Fender American P-bass or 5 string Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray. Both good for rock and punk.

4. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Whenever people ask me what type of bass I think they should get I always say they should get a spector if they have the money, because they are somewhat resonably priced, sound great, and are built to last.

5. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Most punkers I've seen play a Fender Precision (stickers optional). For your price range, you could get a used USA made one. If you are going into the computer, skip the amp and just get a nice DI box, such as a SansAmp Bass Driver. That should let you dial in nice tone and go into the computer.

6. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    get a music man (ernie ball/music man if you want one made between mid 80s and now), i find my stingray great for rock and punk, and my sabre is good for pretty much everything. but since they dont make sabres any more, the stingray is a good one, you can get em ebay for arround 800 or maybe less (last time i checked)...

7. SWiTCH

SWiTCH

Jul 20, 2004
    That sounds great, I'll look into the P. Bass.

After some thought, allow me to specify what I'm looking for.
    Not the tone you get in the background that you can barely hear. I'm looking for punch. I'm looking for Bass intros that make you bang your head without any help from the drums.

... Know what I'm talking about?

Hardcore punk rock. :bassist:

:D

8. +1 on the Sansamp. You can record direct to computer and you can use it to EQ a bit before sending the signal. It even has some drive on it to get a thick, driven tone.

EDIT: Based on your second post, yup, the P bass fits the criteria perfectly.

9. yup, get the sansamp, then you would be ready to rock.

10. SWiTCH

SWiTCH

Jul 20, 2004
    Awesome.
    Thanks for the help, folks.
    I'm on the lookout for a P-Bass now. I'll be sure to check with you guys before I do anything drastic.

11. Yeah, get a P bass...You really cant go wrong with them. I also play punk and I love my '71 P. By far the best bass I've ever played.

12. Sprudellio

Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    Germany
    Fat Mike plays a P too. Good choice.

13. SWiTCH

SWiTCH

Jul 20, 2004
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64401&item=3736707120&rd=1

Here's one I'm lookin at.
    comments/suggestions/objections?

And would someone tell me why these things are so cheap?
    I mean... Logically, if a guitar only costs $200 it sucks, right?

And most of these P basses are that cheap. Unless they're from the 70s or somethin'.

And I'd also like to comment on how fender makes the lamest, most generic guitars looking guitars on the planet. Which is why I'm opting for the baby blue.
    ... Nothing a little "customization" can't fix though.

14. SWiTCH

SWiTCH

Jul 20, 2004
  15. Japan??? Americans play and sound soooo much better, I just love mine.

16. SWiTCH

SWiTCH

Jul 20, 2004
    you've played a Japanese made one?

Too bad... It's cool lookin'.

My regular guitar is an 80s Japanese ripoff of a Gibson SG.
    It plays just as well as the real 80s gibsons and better than the new ones.

17. I've played just about every kind of fender out there, and trust me you would like the American so much better. Never judge a book by its cover :p

18. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

This fits the description of what you're looking for to a T.Basses with an active preamp onboard tend to be punchier.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3736881519&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

19. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Dude,

The reason Fender looks generic is because everyone and their mother have ripped off their designs and bastardized them to death. Fender is the original, that's why everyone has copied them. Lots of people in the know say that the 80's Japan Fenders are better than the USA products of that time. I have a couple of old Japanese basses and they are rock solid. The HW 1 bass has not yet met the reserve price. The minimum you will pay for that bass is probably alot more than $200. It can't be bought or won until the bidding goes above the reserve price. Check the local stores. It is hard to tell if an instrument is really playable without playing it. Pictures don't always tell the truth.

Good luck.

20. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I recommend a Lakland 44-02. With one, you can achieve the sound of a Stingray and a Jazz Bass on one bass.