1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FUZZ combo: shootout

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Jan 14, 2012.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    Hi,

I'm getting myself a combo pedal made, I wanted some classic fuzz + a crazy fuzz in the same box, this are my "options":

Fuzz Face
    Rat
    Mosrite Fuzzrite
    Big Muff
    Dallas Rangemaster
    Shin Ei FY-2 Companion Fuzz.
    DOD 250 Overdrive
    Fuzz Factory
    Coloursound One Knob Fuzz
    Coloursound Bass Fuzz
    Wooley Mammoth
    MXR Distortion +
    Tubescreamer/Eternity/Zendrive style Overdrive
    Schaller Fuzz

I can also have a blend knob on the pedals, so in orther to have a vintagey/straight fuzz and a crazy fuzz in the same enclousure I was thinking something like:

Rat with blend + Wooly Mammoth

or

Colorsound Bass Fuzz + Wooly Mammoth

What do YOU think? Any other recomendation?
    :help:

2. Grrface

Grrface

Jun 26, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Rat + Wooly Mammoth. That's actually what I'm running: Rat Tail into Mammoth clone, and I'm incredibly happy with it.

3. Shish

Shish

Sep 17, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    how about Dwarfcraft stuff?

4. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Owner, Handlebar Moustache Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    You still digging the robot devil?

5. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    I'll look into Dwarfcraft, but right now I have to choose from that list...

Colorsound Bass Fuzz + Woolly Mammoth is winning right now... But I still have to make up my mind, maybe they overlap too much... I'm not sure if the Colorsound Bass Fuzz can do the vintage fuzz sound...

6. Are these from BYOC or GGG, is that why these are your choices?
    Not all of these choices are truly fuzz. Rat, Distortion+, 250, Tubescreamer. i am sure you know that though.

I would go Colorsound bass fuzz and wooly mammoth together. From what you have on the list, The Wooly Mammoth is really the only modern one. It can get gated.

7. I like running my Grey Stache into my Colorsound Tonebender. It produces a nice thick stoner/doom tone.

8. DrowningBrian

DrowningBrian

May 21, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    colorsound jumbo tone bender. just like a big muff but WAY better.

9. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    I know, but that is my list, since the guy doing the pedals for me has expeience with those pedals. I can ask for little tweaks like a bass boost of blend knob, but that's about it...
    He's "pushing" the rat with blend, i had a vintage rat and didn't find anything special there, but maybe with a blend it's a different game, although I hate the "layered sound": when a blend knob makes a pedal sound like bass + other instrument on top (distorted guitar I would fear in this case...)