1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fuzz help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bluestarbass, Jan 21, 2013.

1. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I have searched for days but I cant find quite the right answer to my question. I have fought with pedals for years, bought a bunch, sold them off cuz i didnt use them. I decided to build a very small pedalboard again and sell off everything I dont use. I play in a stoner rock band and I think im pretty close to having everything I need, but I want to add one more pedal and I need help from the pedal gods.

Right now Im going bass -> peterson strobostomp -> EHX LPB-1 -> mxr blowtorch -> ?

Right now im leaning toward a fuzz. I have a black russian big muff i really like, but its entirely too big. I think I'm gonna get a mxr bass fuzz deluxe. What do you guys think?

I know I only have tuners and "distortion" pedals. I have finally come to grips with thats the only kind of effects I really will use.

2. 3xfx fatman was one of the best fuzz pedals I've ever owned

3. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Thats one I havent heard of yet. Thanks jamestown. One more to rattle around in the ol noggin. Pretty reasonable too. I really dont want to pay $300 for some custom boutique pedal. When its all said and done this is gonna get beat up on stage alot.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    TAFM
    Pickle Pie B
    Malenko B:Assmaster

5. haven't had the pleasure of playing them in person, but the b:assmaster and the mxr you mentioned seem pretty damn cool!

6. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Stoner rock specifically? My preferences (in order) for this are:

Swollen Pickle MKII
    Germanium B:Assmaster w/Freq Mod
    Deluxe Bass Big Muff
    MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe

I'm taking into consideration the level of saturation and sheer depth of fuzz sound, of course.

7. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I agree with Vegas, The swollen pickle is an awesome fuzz. My friend has one and i borrowed it for awhile and really fell in love with it. It gets great tone and its a very versatile pedal.

8. permanent_ice

permanent_ice

Nov 22, 2011
    Moscow, RU
    My favorite ones are Bluebeard and Grey Stache. I play doom. There are many other stomp boxes that are, at least, good (Pickle, Tall Font Russian, Assmaster, Supercollider etc), but these two are excellent IMO.

9. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.

Hey bluestarbass,

You should check out the Stoner DOOM thread. >> http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f28/stoner-doom-bassists-thread-pt-44-magnum-big-boys-950630/

A lot of the guys seem to like the El Oso and/or Sanford and Sonny Blue Beard Fuzz. Check those out and stop by the Stoner DOOM thread man.

10. Zacsthefuzziest

Zacsthefuzziest

Sep 20, 2012
    The Bass Fuzz Deluxe is absolutely beautiful. It's got such a wide range of fuzz!

11. Fuzzrocious Heliotropic. Doom for days.

12. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    If you liked the Black Russian, you might want to check out the Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian. I absolutely LOVE mine!!!

-JV

13. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    lots of guys know this already but, the BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal is AMAZING on bass, it has massive bottom end, the "Hi" knob actually works like a high mid control, if you back it off you can scoop mids, I like it with a slight high mid boost.
    the distortion knob when all the way down, is almost overdrive-like.

14. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I ended up trying out the mxr fuzz deluxe tonight and really dug it. The boutique stuff is cool, but hard to justify all that prettiness that my foot just gonna stomp on. Unfortunately size was a big determiner as well. The fuzz deluxe is just the right size.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021