1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fuzz pedal advice.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mcdli861, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Looking for a heavy as fuzz pedal that retains as much low end as possible. Willing to spend a fair bit of money on it. I've gone through a couple of different fuzz pedals and they just don't seem to cut it for me. I was wondering if there are any pedals in particular you guys would recommend. I play in band that tends to get pretty heavy.

2. IE Oxide, Mountainking Megalith, search engine...

edit:

3. Team Awesome Fuzz Machine, from small sound/big sound

4. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    it's a 'cheap' pedal, but i have pretty good tones from the ehx big bass muff

5. Chamber

Chamber

Jul 9, 2011
    California
    Swollen Pickle.

6. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    The Megalith can add loads of additional low end, and it's absurdly heavy. The first pedal I've used where there is more "heavy" on tap than what I need.

I also like Superfuzz variants like the Malekko B:assmaster. Tons of gravelly texture, retains individual note definition (mud is my kryptonite) and you won't disappear in a band situation.

I usually don't like Muff variants on bass - too smooth (texture wise) and muddy, IMO.

7. I'd be waiting to see what the new Darkglass fuzz is like - Duality Fuzz

8. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    For lows without a blend - Mountainking Megalith, Mountainking Magnetar (if gated fuzz is your thing), Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian, the new SS/BS Buzzz. I didn't try the Fuzzrocious Grey Stache in a band setting, but it sounded massive when I demoed it into a BDPG

9. i have found that for me, a blender is best so there's more versatility and no compromise.

10. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    The Prescription Electronics Depth Charge is one of the best fuzz pedals out there IMO. Get one. Do it.

11. ss/bs TAFM, W&C TFR, and many others that have been listed above should fit the bill.

12. SS/BS TAFM, W&C TFR, etc.
    But as someone else recommended above, I would wait to see/hear the Darkglass Duality Fuzz pedal before making your purchase!

13. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I really like the Blakemore Deus Ex Machina. Don't have the fuzz experience as many others, but went through a few different ones before settling on that one. I think it's muff based, but between the blend, midrange, and tone controls (in addition to the usual gain & Volume) it covers a lot of ground and cuts through.

14. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I've tried my share of fuzzes and my personal favorites are the TAFM and the Brown Dog.

15. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Source Audio OFD has regular blend, low-passed blend, and a serious EQ that can add in more lows than you'll ever need. Oh yeah, and a dozen dirt voices. And a gate. And 2 presets. And... :)

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Can't believe nobody has mentioned the Fuzzrocious Grey Stache. Not only does it retain bottom end, it can ADD some.

17. BassUli

BassUli

Dec 5, 2011
    +1 Brown Dog

18. q5bass

q5bass

Apr 9, 2012
    TN

+1 The Swollen Pickle is pretty versatile and retains a lot of low end. Also, it won't cost you a fortune.

19. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    rait tail or wmd geiger counter ime

20. WillyPop

WillyPop

Jan 11, 2010
    quebec, Canada
    Ashdown Amps, Yamaha, Musicman & Washburn Basses
    I know a lot of people aroud don't like em but for a reasonable price ; MXR el grande...
    With the deep button engaged.