1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FYI: NS Design fingerboard care

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by mburd, Nov 10, 2005.

1. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    As we have some significant humidity changes in Maine with the seasonal transitions I usually pick fall/spring to perform my major inspections and adjustments. As the web was all over the map with opinions (go figure..!) I decided to contact NSD directly for their reccommendations. Here is the response from David (who replied in less than an hour!):
    ------
    As for the ebony, it's pretty low maintenance. If the board gets 'gunky', a light once over with #000 or #0000 steel wool will do the trick; just be sure to cover the magnetic pickups first. You may apply lemon oil after cleaning, but it should not be necessary. I actually feel that it leads to more board loading, but it does have a nice look and feel.

Of course, you can always go with the old-school consistent regimen of light cleanings with a warm, damp (not wet) cloth. It's really the best for all wood surfaces. Pretty high-tech, eh?
    -----
    FYI, YMMV, FWIW, LSMFT, etc..
    -Mike