1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G is WAAAY too loud on stage!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Bassist4Life, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I've been noticing that any G I play on my bass at church is WAY too loud. Does anyone else experience something like this? What causes it? Is it my fault or something with the room/pa system?

I tried tweaking the eq on my bass, but it didn't help. The G just stands out sooo much. I have to play that note with a lighter touch when playing at church.

Joe

2. fourfinger

fourfinger Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    That frequency must resonate a lot in that particular room.

You can likely fix the problem with a parametric equalizer, preferably one where you can adjust the frequency range to cut just a very few frequencies. But before you cut the frequencies, do a sound check where you can temporarily BOOST the level instead, and sweep the center frequency up and down to find the place where the boominess is at its absolute WORST. That's where to stop and cut those frequencies drastically. The room will make up for the cut and it should sound more balanced.

3. canshaker

canshaker

Dec 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown/ESP/Dunlop/Line 6/Normandy.
    Check your pickups. It's possible that they are just too high under that string.

4. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    Yeah. Could be the room, but you could also try to lower the pick ups on the G string side.

5. He said any G he plays,not just the open string.

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Since it's any G he's playing, its not a pickup issue.

I would agree its a room issue. Some venues are simply built to hold as many people as possible, with resonance a distant consideration in the layout and the materials used.

If you're running mainly through the house, you should look to having the system professionally EQed. A 31 band EQ can do wonders for room resonances. On the other hand if most of your sound is coming from your amp you can invest in a notch filter yourself.

7. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Or get an EQ (onboard, outboard, rackmount, pedal, parametric, graphic, or whatever) and eliminate that frequency yourself.

8. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    Ohh, probably a room issue as other have already said. You will probably need an equaliser with a lot of bands to be able to lower the volume only of the Gs on your bass.

9. The church likes Gs. Play 'em loud and proud.

10. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    HA... especially the G's on all the "Gsus" chords. ;)

Thanks everyone. Yeah, we're dealing with sound issues. It's great one week and awful the next. OR, great the first service and rotten the 2nd... different sound guys too.

Joe

11. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    definately the room. you could go nuts with EQ but i think the room will have its way with your sound in the end, and the EQ thing sounds like itll work in theory but might be really frusrating when it comes to tuning your sound to the room.

i'd just play with the appropriate touch.

12. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    Turn you amp way down, go direct into the board, and let the sound guy deal with it. He probibly has a 1/3 octave EQ for doing just that.

13. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    If a particular note books it's because the acoustics of the room are sympathetic to that vibration. It happens. There's one hall I play where the Bb always booms, regardless to what bass I use. It's just the way it is.

14. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    +1 to all the "it's the room" replies, and also +1 to all the "try to fix it with EQ" replies as well as all the "don't hope for too much" replies.

BTW, the majority of the boomy room issues I come across are usually G or near-G issues, with the next most frequent being E/A harmonics. I don't know why that is. I can't believe there is that much commonality of dimensions or width-length-height ratios among all those different venues.

15. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    that's freaking hilarious! lol!

16. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    If you use mainly the volume from your amp for the room maybe try moving you amp to another spot on the platform. Pay close attention to proximaty to walls. Or just use a good DI (my fav is the Sansamp Bass DI)with no amp at reheasal to see if it's still their. If it still there after both trying both of these play em loud and pround like Stingray5 sez.

17. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    No amp. I go direct through my Putnam Mod'd VT Bass pedal. All of my settings are pretty conservative.

I do use a lighter touch when I play the G's. I have to... it gets crazy loud and I don't want the sound guy to turn me down.

Thanks for all the responses on this. I'm going to talk to one of the guitarists and see if they have the same issue.

Could it just be my instrument even thought it is ANY G I play?

Joe

18. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    It does sound like your problem is a room resonance issue. My question would be how do you monitor yourself? Also is the soundman also complaining about the G issue?

The problem that occurs when going direct is that most PA systems can produce much more low end content than a typical bass or guitar amp is capable of. So if you set your sound for what sounds right to "you" it won't always work in the FOH. If you're monitoring through headphones this will really be a handicap for bass guitar. I've worked in musical theater for a number of years and the trend has been for certain shows to run the bass through a DI and no bass amp. What they do sometimes for the bass player is set him up with a ButtKicker http://www.thebuttkicker.com/musicians/index.htm under his chair so he will "feel" like he's using a real amp and this also restores the low end content that a set of headphones won't produce.

You will usually achieve the best results by working with your soundman and either finding a compromise with your rig and settings or using a separate DI rig that is tweaked just for FOH.

19. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    A 1/3 octave EQ will cut much too large a swath out of the frequency spectrum. A fully parametric EQ will be required.

20. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    The problem is easy to solve if there is a fully parametric EQ. First do your homework. Find out what frequency the open G is. Then wait until the sound person has gone home. Then go to the EQ (if it hasn't been locked!) and find that frequency. Just push it down a tad.
    When I do sound in a church I can almost always push the 300 hz down as low as it can go, because most churches have concrete block under the plaster. Concrete block does horrible things to sound around 300 Hz. Trust me and try it.