1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G-K MB150 and a 4ohm cab?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tony-moore, Apr 1, 2005.

1. I use a little G-K MB150 cab as a stage monitor for myself when needed. But I need a little more power for a small club gig. I have access to a 4ohm cab. I've always thought I could only use an 8ohm cab with the G-K, but thought I'd ask with hopes of getting lucky :)

Thanks,

Tony

PS - I'm not looking to get into a "tone" debate. I completely understand and agree about the little G-K's limitations. I'm looking to upgrade but want to see what options I have with the gear I already have :)

2. You could use the 4-Ohm cab by itself (with the GK-150 internal speaker switched off). The GK-150 will put about 150-Watts into a 4-Ohm load (normally 2 x 8-Ohm speakers in parallel).

- Wil

3. Tony,

If you connect the MB150 to a load less than 4 ohms, it will run very hot, which is not a good thing. 4 ohms is pretty much an absolute minimum load with that amp. If you connect the external 4 ohm cab with the internal speaker switched off, as Wil suggested, you should be OK. If your GK gets a lot warmer than usual, however, take heed, since it's telling you something.

-bob

4. Aleph5

Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Tennessee
    I have done that with my GK by putting a 4 ohm dummy load wired in series w/ the 4 ohm speaker. I used this.

However, remember this needs to be wired IN SERIES, so needs to be built into a special cable; you can't just put this across the terminals or you'll be going in the wrong direction. And it will eat up a little of the power, but you won't notice that. It will give you a total nominal Z of 4 ohms w/ both speakers, however.

I would echo, too, that the little GK shouldn't be overstressed. They're not the most bullet-proof amps in the world.

5. Thanks guys! It's exactly as I thought :-(

Tony

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Wiring a resistor in series with a speaker will change the tone characteristic. This is like using a power amplifier with a damping factor of 2.

7. gkintn

gkintn

Mar 6, 2005
    I know this won't give you more power. However I added a Peerless dome tweeter to my MB150 and it totally opened up the amps tone and made a big difference in definition. It makes the amp much more clear sounding, which might make it easier to hear as a monitor even without doing anything to address the low end or power.

The stock 12" is very muddy sounding, and to me sounds like it probably rolls off at 3 or 4k. You might check my other post as the mod only cost about $50 to do, and it's all internal to the existing box.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171253&highlight=peerless+tweeter

8. Aleph5

Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Tennessee
    Wiring a resistor in series with a speaker will change the tone characteristic.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. The 4 ohm res goes in series w/ the 4 ohm speaker, and this combination (now 8 ohms) will be in parallel w/ the 8 ohm internal speaker to make a total of 4 ohms seen by the amp. No, a 4 ohm resistor is not the same as another 4 ohm speaker sharing the load, but it will keep the impedance in the proper range and work just fine. Just a hassle to wire in and mount the resistor somewhere.

Re the added tweeter, this sounds interesting but not enough for me to want to do it to mine. I just don't hear anything wrong with my highs. Not to be closed minded or anything, but it doesn't seem in the category of a quick easy mod that I can try first.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    aleph5, all I am saying is that a speaker driven through a 4-ohm resistor will have a different tone characteristic than the same speaker driven directly by the amplifier.

10. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    If you run a 200 watt amp through a 4 ohm speaker and a 4 ohm resistor in series, you'd better make that resistor a 150-200 watt non-inductive type and supply some cooling air to be safe... might be simpler and cheaper to just add another speaker ;-)

11. Aleph5

Aleph5

Feb 24, 2004
    Tennessee
    The resistor I used (see Parts Express link above) was all of those things. Yet it never got warm. Average power tends to be very low (high crest factor). I have switched to an 8 ohm auxiliary speaker for different reasons, however, so I haven't been using that setup of late.