1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L General Characteristics

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by RicPlaya, Dec 14, 2006.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    This question I'm sure has been asked, but what they heck!

G&L's are such and animal of thier own it seems it's always going to be a apples and oranges comparison, and when you looks at the apples you got granny smiths and macintosh's. G&L's are not only different from other bases, they are different from each other!

With that being said what are some of the general characteristics and comparisons to other bases.

L2000 and L2K

JB2

SB2

S1

El Torro

I currently play a Fender jazz 60th ann w/ s1 switch and really like it, but I have been really thinking about a G&L fro a long time.

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The simplest comparison would start with pickup orientation I guess....
    The JB-2 and El Toro have pickups in the Jazz bass position- the El Toros pickups are mini G&L MFD humbuckers (like a really skinny version of the L2000 pickups) and that means that the sound is beastly, the JB-2 has some other companies Jazz pickups and is essentially a G&L Jazz bass. I don't know much about the electronics of either of these- I believe the JB-2 has 2 volumes and a tone.

The SB-1 is like a Precision bass, but the pickup is a G&L split coil MFD- and is beastly as well!

The SB-2 started as a Jazz style bass, with two G&L single coils, but changed at some point into a PJ bass- the P pickup is the same as the SB-1, the J is the same as the original SB-2 (I think!)- the SB-2 only has a volume for each pickup, whereas the SB-1 has 1 volume and 1 tone.

The L2K is another way of saying L2000- these basses have MusicMan style G&L MFD humbuckers but in (sort of ) Jazz bass positions- they are not really comparable to any other bass I know in this regard or in many other regards! The controls on these basses are crazy!- There are many posts about them so I won't bother!

If you like to use the S-1 switch on your Fender, you will probably love any G&L bass equipped with their MFD pickups!

Karl

3. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Greg Gagliano's G & L Reference Pages

Go read up on the models there.

The JB-2 is a dual single coil VVT setup and that is where the Jazz bass comparison ends. It looks nothing like a Jazz. The neck is a 1 1/2 width but but obviously the bass doesn't have the contours of a Jazz or clone. For me I cannot abide the ergonomics of a Jazz clone but love my JB-2.

JB-2001.

The El Toro has similar placed pickups but they are MFD's and humbucking. The ET is a very midrangy beast which actually IMHO sounds best active. The pickups can be put into series and it gets huge. The ET I think has the widest volume swing so is not a flip on the fly bass like the 2K. A discontinued model.

ElToro002.

The SB-2 is great if you use a P style bass and never roll the tone control off. The bridge pickup adds a fair amount of cut through to the sound. Sounds best with the neck full on and the bridge between 50-80%
    SB-2005.

SB-1 is like the SB-2 but has a tone control. A discontinued model.
    SB-1002.

The L2K (L-2000) the ASAT and the 2500's all are similar with the same pickups and switching.

You spend some time and learn what does what, they will cover any thing. Many posts about them to be found.
    It can have more low end than you know what to do with. The controls cut only and are magical when rolled a bit back.

L2K.

thechillinvillain likes this.
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, that about covers it....

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Thanks guys

Major gas attack!

I need to find where i can sit down and play these babys

The El Torro reminds me of my jazz with s1 switch but more grumpy

The SB-2 seems interesting but lacks that p thud

The l2k seems like the best of all worlds

6. earlgray

earlgray

Jul 12, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    The SB-2 will fool you.

Its one of those basses that sounds OK alone, but kicks ass in a live band situation. I've got a 2nd gen SB-2 and walked away from my initial gig with it totally impressed. Spideyjg is 100% correct in his comparison/analysis of the SB-2 -- I think adding some bridge pickup gives the thuddy sound of a P-bass the added bite of a junkyard dog. I love it. Cuts thru the mix like a plasma torch. (By your name, I assume you're playing Rics -- I think Rics are like the SB-2 -- I'm OK with the sound of my 4003 alone, but it really shines in the live mix.)

Put some TI Jazz Flats on an SB-2 and you'll leave your p-bass at home next gig.

The L-2000 (and L-2500) are extremely versatile basses and is good choice if you're gonna only have one.

They sound great active and passive, alone or in the mix, and doesn't matter whether you're picking, slapping, or pulling. It can take a while to find the sound you're looking for, but I'll guarantee you'll enjoy the ride. Again, cut the treble & bass a bit and its something to behold.

Key thing to determine on an L-2k is neck width -- they can vary from a skinny jazz to a broad p-style. Some L-2ks are heavy as well.

Nice thing about the L-2k is that you can get a tribute model; I have a tribute L-2500 and its a fine bass. FWIW, the Trib is my #1 studio bass because it sounds so good passive/both/treb & bass rolled back a bit.

hth.

7. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Leave the neck pickup alone on and it will out thump a P all day long. Now if you use a P with the tone rolled all the way down and that is the thump you mean, then yeah the SB-2 won't do it stock.

However you can add a stacked control to give a VVT setup on it.

Jim

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten

What is a stacked control and a VVT setup?

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    I guess I have to hear this thing really grasp the tone. It sounds like a rick meets P.

10. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Stacked controls are 2 pots "stacked" on each other so you have 2 controls in one space. VVT is Volume, Volume, Tone. Shorthand for describing stuff. the SB-2 is VV with just a volume control for each pickup.

The only recording I know of using an SB-2 is The Iron Maidens. Wanda uses her SB-2 exclusively for The Iron Maidens gigs.

Demo page of their site....

Live Aces high clip
    Aces High link.....

Jim

11. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Yeah, that's actually pretty close. Also, the SB-2 can get a nice, fat P-tone if you use only the neck p/u @ 80%. Play over the neck joint & your notes will blossom like an old Precision.

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    It seems all these basses have that edgy tone and cut when you need it , which model sounds the hugest, beefist, and has thud above and beyond the rest? L2000? SB-2? others?

13. quickervicar

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    ASAT & L2k will destroy anything else. (they share all the hardware) The SB-2 is the easiest to master the electronics circuit. If a Stingray is a 9.5 in grunt, then the SB-2 would be around an 8. My ASAT & L2k are both scoring a 10. I cannot imagine a bass that can do more. There may be "sweeter" sounding basses. Some may be smoother. These are not bad traits. But no other bass will cut & grind like an active G&L.

Another great feature that rarely gets talked about: the harder you dig, the grittier they sound. They don't get harsh and raspy. Nor do they fuzz out when pushed. My right hand was meant for rock (which is not a good thing, most of the time :scowl: ) and I tend to dig in. Hard. When you need to really cut through, just grind away.

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    thread swerve:
    what 21 tubes are you talkin' 'bout there vicar?

15. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten

Thanks for the info!

I love that line!

In fact I may put it in my sigline

16. Great description that is absoluetely true. Some active basses start to clip when you dig in too hard. These don't and that I love too.

17. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Note on passive use of 2xxxx series basses:
    Gigged the new 2500L last night...man, what a sweet axe.
    A tad of relief added to the neck, raise the saddles a tad.
    I've been playing with running my L2xxxx's passive. Never tried that, and I gotta say, I'm really digging it...roll the treble to about 80, the bass to about 60, and use the single/dual coil, and bass as "volume controls,"....kinda. Pretty neat.

18. quickervicar

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Swervin' back at you! My current signal chain:

-G&L of choice

-Alembic F-1X preamp

-SWR Interstellar overdrive

-Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+

-Eden David D-410XLT

I like it. Sometimes the swell is hard to tame on the SWR but that is easily (if a bit tedious) fixed. As far as amplification, I have no desire to change anything. And that is very much against my nature!

19. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten

How "vintagey" tonewize does this bass get? I am getting excited reading these reviews.

20. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Ahhh, I get it now. I was trying to fgiure which bit if kit had 21 tubes in it;)
    I've recently got a MusicMan HD150, just 5 tubes in it. That trans-orange 2500L sounds flippin huuuge thru it;)