Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Jan 17, 2005.

1. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I have a G&L L-1000, I think its a 1982. I borrow it from my old man. I don't know who owned it before him, he didnt buy it new. Anyway, ever since I started playing it, the tone has been all right, but nothing great. It can sound hollow and tinny at times. I've tried just about every possible EQ combination on my amp, but all of them still have that sound. I've also tried all 3 positions on the selector switch, and both tone knobs, I think thats what they are at least. I'm going for something like a modern hard rock sound. I love the sound of stingrays. Am I missing something, or am I asking the G&L to do something it just won't do? Any help is appreciated.

2. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Your bass must have some type of electronics problem. One of my basses is a G&L, and thin it is not. Check your cord first, then verify it output jack on the bass and the input jack on your amp are both ok. Do not use a TRS (stereo) guitar cord, that doesn't jive with "active" basses. Try your bass in another amp and cord, and your amp with another bass and cord. Try going to glguitars.com for more help.

Mark

deManBass

3. There is probably something going on with the wiring or something. I have never heard a L1000 being described as thin...

I am not good with electronics, so...

Go to the Dudepit, that's where the G&L bass people hang, they are very good!