G&L L2000 Setup Help Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lsimy, Dec 15, 2003.

1. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA

I'm having a hell of a time getting my L2000 setup correctly. I have setup numerous basses in the past but this one's a real tough nut. I think the neck is in fine shape as there do not seem to be any nasty spots or twists.

I have the bridge setup the best I can with curvature and intonated correctly. It seems when I adjust the truss to decrease relief and create less bow, it buzzes like crazy at the 2nd and 3rd positions and also before the 12th.

Any ideas or suggestions on a proper setup technique for these basses? I have never had this much trouble except for a Fender Am.Deluxe that had a binding trussrod.

I also tried the procedure from G&L's site and the Enthusiasts site but they don't seem to be helping.

Thanks so much in advance!!
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    As much as I liked my L2500, I had the same issues. I could never get the neck relief flat enough to allow for really low action as I had the same problem, buzzing in the 1-5 frets area. This is a clear sign of too little neck relief.

I always assumed the nut was cut a little low. I sold the bass before I ever really figured it out.
  3. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Yup Chasarms, you nailed that one on the head. This is the same freakin issue I had with a black 3-bolt L2000. This too is a 3-bolt. They maybe from the same year and could be a bad run.

I'm lost. The bass is too nice sounding to just ignore and throw in a case or leave on the stand.