1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L L2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by luis781, Apr 27, 2010.

1. I have the L2500 tribute series an when i first bought it , it was nice an i still think it is but to my opinion its not so good anymore an im looking for a better bass so my question is , Should i get a USA L2500 or just buy a whole different bass??

2. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I think the l2500 is a really nice bass stock.

If the bass is too aggressive sounding.....just back off the mids one your amp.

Your personal preference will only dictate what you prefer.

As for getting a USA L2500, I've never played one....but I couldn't imagine it sound's all that much different or better.

3. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    USA L2500 are amazing basses as far as playability and tone go. (I have one) You can't do better for the money! I would recommend putting flatwound strings like TI flats or Chromes. You can check out the dedicated G and L forum for all the info you can handle!

4. So you dont think its worth buying a USA L2500 when i already have the tribute ? Its not that its aggressive but when in series/back pickup the volume dies an it was good when i first bought it, it worked fine , now its like the preamp died or somthing . :confused: Also i remember when i first bought the tribute the tonal possibilities where the best an i Loved almost all the tones but now the only way i feel comforatble is playing it in parallel both pickups an in active an thats pretty much the only tonal possibility i have thats why im looking for a new basss or a USA L2500

5. Im really considering selling my tribute and buying a USA L2500 and thanks for the strings suggestion , will defitnitly try them .

6. I don't think you can buy a better bass than a US made G&L. But I'm surprised the Tribby is giving you trouble, those are usually rock solid.

7. Maybe i got stuck with a bad tribute ?? But i want like the new modern L2500 since i like having the latest/most recent basses ], im not really a fan of goin back in the day. Looks wise though, g&Ls are sexy :D

8. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Have you changed the battery?

9. Yes i did like 2 days ago, but unfortunatly it wasnt the battery and its been like this for like a couple of months so i Need a new bass and most likely US L2500 .

10. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have had an L2500 usa for 2 years now and it rocks, and is very well made, tuff as a tank if you know what i mean, you can get you darn near any tone you want, and it can be tamed with a turn down of volume and EQ, or you can crank it and I promise you that it will be more aggressive than any bass out there, oh and the neck is slimmer and faster than the tribute neck, and wood type and quality is better.

11. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Check for a broken wire on the series parallel switch.

Could be a 10 minute solder fix.

Jim

12. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    I bought an L-2000 Tribute for my temporary stay in Colorado and I love it. Seems a tad heavier than my two USA L2Ks back home, but the sounds are every bit as good. Great deals.

13. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Why don't you get your Tribute looked at by a professional? A USA model isn't going to sound any different. Why spend $1500 on a new bass when you might have a $20 fix on your hands?

As far as you wanting the latest model... they haven't changed the styling, they all look the same. How would you know if you were looking at a 2010 model or one several years old?

14. taz81

taz81

Feb 1, 2010
    Milan, ITALY (I)
    Hi Luis781, i'm in the same situation. i've selling now a Tribute l2500 because i want buy a USA L2500. the Tribute is a fantastic bass, but the USA made is better..

15. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Years ago I bought a Tribby L2500, just as a backup - it soon became my #1 go-to bass. I bought a US model only because I wanted a unique finish (got the gold flake w/matching headstock and GOT neck w/maple board, no front dots).

Soundwise, no difference - I would definitely get that checked out by a tech - or if you feel it's just junk and want to get rid of it, I'll send you my gratuitous disposal address.... ;)

16. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    If you don't like it, sell it. If it was me, I would fix it, and get another bass too, then sell it if I still didn't like it. Did you test the new battery to make sure it was good? I'd be testing a few things with a multimeter before taking it to anyone, and also looking for a broken connection. If you got it from a G&L dealer, you might call them with your frustrations. I had an older USA L2500. It's one I wish I had back.

17. bassramos

bassramos

Feb 13, 2006
    Chicago North
    Take it to a good guitar repairman and check out the electronic/ get a good setup. Then A/B it at the store with a new US L2500.

18. HeddieMurphy

HeddieMurphy

Mar 1, 2010
    I got my USA L2500 a week ago and have been unable to put it down since. I haven't played the tributes, but I know this bass is well worth the cash. as for the series selector switch, I've played a '79 MM Sabre for 7 years and have never used it in the back position, it is way quieter and way splanky. The L2500's sounds much better but i still can't see myself putting it forward unless i'm cranking the bass as well. Between active, active with trebl boost, passive, and the 3 pickup selections, you've got a myriad of tonal opportunities that you will discover as you go. The USA G&Ls are extremely high quality basses and are the epitome of bang for your buck.

19. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Exactly. Which is why you need to do what I did. Buy a nice MIA G&L L-2500 fretless to go with that Tribute (and of course fix the Tribute). The electronics in the MIA aren't different from the Tribute and sometimes they need fixed too!

By the way, in addition to a new battery, try some new strings.

20. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Seems to be looking for an excuse to move to US built G&L. Not wrong, but don't expect it to sound much different.