Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L pricing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Aug 19, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I am in the market for a new bass and have heard many good things about G&L's, and i was wondering what a good price is for a new tribute L-2000. I am not interested in a used bass since i plan on keeping this bass for life. The lowest price i have found so far was $649 (canadian) and that includes a free gig bag. I was wondering if this is a good deal, or if i should haggle them down somewhat, and if so, then how should i go about doing it so that i dont look like a sucker or a fool?

2. Mesmerize-16

Mesmerize-16

Aug 31, 2007
    wondering about this as well. a youtube video said they could be had for as little as $500 and it was a US vid. Seeing as the dollars are about equal, the price for the same bass in $$CDN should be around the same or a little more, correct?

3. no1likesme

no1likesme

Dec 26, 2006
    Shepherd, MI
    I am pretty sure my local guitar shop has a tribute L-2000 for $459

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Import duties keep the price higher in Canada. The price mentioned seems reasonable to me, I've seem them at $699 Canadian.

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Tributes run around $550 street price. You could probaby negotiate a better deal, even over the phone this can be done.

If you're going for the "bass for life" bass, why not go with the best bass you can afford, like higher quality used American G&L?

Don't get me wrong, the Tributes are nice, but for the long haul, I'd be looking for a used American G&L if I were you.
    Those can be had for very reasonable prices, and should last a lifetime or two.

Show up with cash in hand for the best deals.

6. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    I suppose the American G&L is higher quality, but I just bought a "bass for life" Tribute. Not sure where anybody cut any corners on this bass. Just a flat-out great bass.

7. swamp2

swamp2

Feb 27, 2008
    What the heck does buying a used bass have to do with the ability to keep it for life? I mean, if you feel like paying 2x what you have to for a good instrument, go ahead - it's your money. But I have several basses bought used I have no plans of ever letting go...

8. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    The only thing that you really have to decide between the two, at least for me, was fret size. Tributes are skinnier frets then American, which I liked, but I found an American locally before I could find a tribute in blueburst and maple. Either way though, that's a fair price for a new one, pretty standard, you could try to bargain but I doubt they would budge.