TRADED G&L SB-1 (USA)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rbeck47, Sep 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rbeck47

rbeck47 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    Price:
    $650
    Strings:
    TRADE PENDING

I'm offering this great example of an early 1990's US made G&L SB-1, often referred to as a P bass killer. Natural finish with rosewood board, 1-5/8" nut width (but feels narrower), split P MFD pickup, 8.25 lbs., black crinkle metal guard - will ship in gig bag or generic hard case (buyer's choice). Will sell and ship in the CONUS only for $650. As for possible trades, I'm really a jazz bass player (passive only).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Aasmund, abotaun, metron and 11 others like this.
  2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Great deal. Wish I had the shekels....

rbeck47 likes this.
  3. jebmd

jebmd Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Iona, Florida
    Hard to believe this hasn't moved yet. I've been looking for one of these with a maple board to cure my 70's p gas.

Glwts

rbeck47 likes this.
  4. rbeck47

rbeck47 Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    You can always get used to the RW board. :)

jebmd likes this.
  5. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

Apr 18, 2014
    Yeah it hurts still seeing this on here. If only I wasn't so damn broke. Have been wanting a RW board SB-1 for a while. I've had a 1987 in sunburst with a maple board for about 20 years now, and have wanted a RW board to complement it. Beautiful bass friend, and GLWTS!

rbeck47 and jebmd like this.
  6. Aasmund

Aasmund

Mar 9, 2012
    Nesna, Norway
    I would really love this bass, but I live in Norway... GLWTS!

rbeck47 likes this.
  7. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Great deal. I just have too many ash basses.

8. sspear

sspear Inactive

What is the difference between an sb-1 and a lb 100?

9. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

Apr 18, 2014
    Main difference is the pick-up. LB-100 has a traditional P pup, and the SB-1 has a MFD pup. Personally, I think the MFD's dominate the traditional pick ups. There are a few other differences too, like the more contoured body on the SB-1. I'm probably biased, but think the SB-1 is the top of the food chain evolution of the P design.

10. sspear

sspear Inactive

Hey thanks Chillin. I got to have me a G&L soon. There is a dealer in Memphis that's getting some in January. Maybe I'll get a chance to play both.

11. sspear

sspear Inactive

Are they generally lighter than the LB?

12. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

Apr 18, 2014
    Yeah they are lighter because of more body contour, and they have a slightly slimmer neck than traditional P's, but more thick than jazz basses. I have an '87 from the Leo Fender era, and it's the best P type bass I've ever played, by a wide margin. This includes vintage P's from all time periods. If you can find the older ones like the one's in this post or mine, they might also have the black crinkle pickguard/hardware on them, which adds serious style points. Also, the wood pile in the 80s/early 90s at G&L was absolutely world class.

13. sspear

sspear Inactive

But only three neck bolts?

14. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

Apr 18, 2014
    The older G&L's during the Leo Fender era to early 90s only had three bolts, and are actually more sought after than non-three bolts by vintage collectors. The bi-cut design ensures the neck is still stable despite three bolts, and they have micro-tilt adjustments. That being said, some vintage G&L's do have neck issues such as ski jumps, so collectors should be discerning. My SB-1's neck is rock solid, a vintage SB-2 I had though had a warped neck, but I was able to fix it with a refret and it's amazing. Has 2 MFD single coils in jazz bass position, and is out of this world. The newer G&L's have six bolts, and are def rock solid.

15. sspear

sspear Inactive

My dealer is locally ( I like to do business locally when possible) owned store. Not a huge place like GC but not a hole in the wall either. He is becoming a GL dealer and will have some in January. He can't order 20 basses in December and turn around and order 20 more in January. The good news is it will not be just the Tribute line. So I will slow my roll until then when hopefully be able to compare the SB1 and the Kiloton. I actually owned a GL 5 string back in the 80's. It had a split pup like a p bass. Nice bass I wish I had kept but I've never been much of a 5 string player.