1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L Tribute L2000 Opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shawshank72, Feb 5, 2016.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Love to hear opinions about this bass.
    Screenshot_2016-02-05-17-32-23.

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    My opinion is that you should buy it.

TMARK, Ikkir and shawshank72 like this.
  3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Has to be more users out there.

4. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    I suggest that you try it out because the neck is pretty thick and wide.

5. distortion81

distortion81

Oct 24, 2014
    fat warm powerful humbucker sound.
    an opposite of this will be a modern stingray. powerful bright and twangy sound.

mbell75 and shawshank72 like this.
  6. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Tributes are a great bang for the buck. Overall build quality is very good for the price point.

The pickups are made in the U.S., but the rest of the electronics are offshore. If this has the single coil option, it's been modded as that wasn't a factory option on Tributes.

Neck is beefy, as mentioned, so if you like J necks, you might find it a little difficult to navigate.

I love L-2000s, so I'm in the "buy it" camp if the price is right.

shawshank72 likes this.
  7. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    Tough bass to tame. Probably the most aggressive production bass I can think of. Good technique needed if you run an open sound.

/\/\3phist0, TMARK and shawshank72 like this.
  8. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Here I am in my dance hall days (note short hair and cowboy hat). I really liked the Tribute and its ability to emulate other instruments. I upgraded to the Classic '50s P pictured in my avatar, but the Tribute got a lot of gigging: excellent build quality, no issues.

WildWillies4.

TinIndian and shawshank72 like this.
  9. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    There was a guy on my local Craigslist stating that he tried to like his bass, but the neck was to thick!

You are giving the OP great advice! A great looking bass is not worth owning if it's causes discomfort when playing it!

10. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    2 hours away.
    Dont want to waste a day driving for nothing.
    I love thick necks so sounds like a good thing.

TDR1138 likes this.
  11. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    Excellent value for the price as long as you can get along with the hot pickups (try running vol at 60 - 80% and tone to taste) and the neck, which is not to everyone's liking.

For live use the volume imbalance between series and parallel coils really hacked me off but there is a mod to correct that over on bassesbyleo.com

Torrente Cro and shawshank72 like this.
  12. DocShocker

DocShocker

Jan 31, 2015
    Michigan
    I'm super happy to see this thread. My next planned purchase is a L2000 Tribute, but have read a lot about the neck shape being an acquired taste, on the Trib models, anyway.

I'm okay with the neck thing, since I don't bounce off of too many neck profiles. That said, does anyone know how the L2000 neck shape would compare to the older Warwick Rockbass telephone pole neck profile? (I guess I would call it a very deep "U" profile.) It's really the only neck profile in recent memory that couldn't get a feel for.

13. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    About the neck: I loved the feel on mine, with its flat radius and satin finish on the back and fingerboard. Note that I do not like Jazz necks -- I have owned a couple and found that my hand cramped up. I have long fingers and the L2000 fit me very well, as did the L2500 I tried.

shawshank72 likes this.
  14. evanoverdrive

evanoverdrive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dBuenRxMCg Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Im playing the same bass in my profile pic..I like the flat radius of the neck alot. I have never had an issue with it being too hot to tame.I run my volume at 90% ,active mode,parallel with bass at 75% and treble around the same depending on newness of the strings..I think backing off the bass and treble a little lowers the overall output enough that i never need to use the active pad on any amp i use.i say get it.

15. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Fellow pick player as well :thumbsup:
    Thanks for the info.

16. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i have a black 83 L2k which is my live bass due to it's super versatility and beastly output

17. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Actually not true. The USA L2X00 basses are the most aggressive production bass you can think of. The Tribute is the second most aggressive.

Yes, I own both USA and Tribute L2500s. The USAs are my Main 5er Axes (fretted and fretless pair) And the Tribute is the Bar Bass backup. Winners all the way around. You know there is no rule that says you must set the tone to peel the paint off the walls just because you can...

18. I have a sunburst one. I was supposed to sell it to finance the MIM p-bass in my avatar but my wife appears to have forgotten (so I think I will too).

They are awesome - very well made with quality hardware and huge sound. I have big hands so the beefy neck suits me.
    I can't see how you could go wrong.

My only criticism would be that there's no many tones available it can be confusing - to the point where I've often used in passive mode and only adjusted the tone.
    Oh, and they're heavy too but I don't mind that - probably would if I was playing 2hr sets or something.

TMARK likes this.
  19. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Great build. High output. Thick neck. Incredible tone but you need a different approach to the EQ than you would use with most basses. A solid bass capable of diverse tones.

20. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    Yeah, for sure. You can dial it down. The tone I preferred was open. I think that when you roll the tone back on any bass it can sound OK, but it was not the L2K's strength. I felt it was hard to control the "clank" factor. Admittedly, I'm not the be all end all of technique or tone mind you.