1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L Tribute SB-2 Noise problems

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by redbass4, Apr 24, 2009.

1. redbass4

redbass4

Apr 24, 2009
    Having these problems and would appreciate your comments. My G&L Tribute SB-2 is 6 months old and has 2 volume control knobs, one for each pickup. When I touch or turn either control knob, you can hear a small short clicking noise. My second problem is that the strings make a click type noise (like they are hitting the pickups) when the lower pickup volume is max. Thanks

2. Contact the selling dealer for (possible) warranty help with this. Alternately, contact Chris Robosan at G&L: 714-897-6766 x118 or via email.

Ken...

3. redbass4

redbass4

Apr 24, 2009
    Thanks for the reply Ken and I just sent an email to Chris. Here is more information about this problem. The store I bought from has closed. I have tried different amps and cables so that’s not it. I do not slap or pop the strings, just normal finger work. I do not have any fret buzz. I use Fender medium light nickel strings and they are a few weeks old. The clicking noise when playing is really the annoying part. Does anyone else have this experience? Thanks

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Have you tried lowering the pickup to address the clicking? High output pickups can do this, even if the string isn't hitting the polepiece. Or at least that seemed to be the case when I had a DiMarzio Model P in my Precision. I had to lower it quite a bit before I didn't get something like clipping when I played hard, and I really don't think the strings were actually grazing the poles.

5. redbass4

redbass4

Apr 24, 2009
    Thank you! Lowering the pickups seems like a good idea and I will certainly try that. Also I notice that the pickups are not level and I wondering if they should be? Certainly can't hurt to experiment with different heights. Right?

6. Right.

I have the split pickup in my SB-2 adjusted (roughly) to the profile of the fingerboard. This makes them look a little goofy to some, but that's OK. Also, adjusting pickups as needed many times means that they aren't level or flush with the body. Pretty normal.

Ken...

7. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    +1
    I don't think I've ever owned a bass that had level pickups regardless of make or model. It's just the nature of the beast.