Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L USA v. Tribute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RacingBeat, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Besides the difference in the country where it's built...
    are there any differences?
    Thanks,
    G&L Noob

2. I just played both today

l2500 tribute and L2500 USA

honestly, couldnt really tell a diff.

the USA neck it think was nicer, but the tone was all the same.
    The knobs and switches were different on the Tributes only in a way of the way the switches moved (like which direction turned a pick up off)

But the really sounded the same. the USA In My Opnion felt better playing.

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I played them recently... The USA model had a lot more definition and seemed to be more articulate. These two basses both had the same woods and finishes.
    Fit and finish was a little better overall on the USA model and the wood seemed to weigh less on the usa model. Both models were natural finishes with maple boards.

For half the price, the tribute it is 80% of the bass. That being said, since the G&L has a reasonable price, I would probably buy the USA model. It's like comparing a Chevy to a GMC... same truck but the GMC has a few nicer touches

4. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    There shouldn't be any major differences.

If you are going to buy a tribute please play the one you are going to buy before you do the deed (don't order one on-line).

In my bass showdown I did last week I played around 7 G&L's- 3 of them were tributes and all three of them had scratchy pots.

All the American mades sounded great.

5. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    The biggest difference is that you have MANY more options as far as finish and wood on the USA models. Neck size is probably less of an issue with the L-2500 than with other models since it only comes with one neck type unlike the other models that have various options.

The hardware is not quite the same quality as the USA models... The tuner posts are not aluminum, so they are a bit heavier, the bridge is not quite the same, and I think the saddles are zinc as opposed to plated brass like the USA models (not sure about that though). The pickups are USA (not sure about the preamp board), but the electronics are assembled overseas with different pots.

They are still fantastic basses for the money. If you want to avail yourself of all of the options available with a custom USA G&L, I'd save up for the USA model. If you are happy with what the Tribute line offers, and are a bit short of cash, I'm sure you won't be sorry.

Cheers,
    Chris

6. Does anyone here know about a Canadian G&L Dealer? Preferably around the Ottawa area.

7. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Dammit! So you're telling me the USA model was the "better" playing? So I guess the Tribute should have been a real pain. Maybe it's my experience or maybe not (as I played several G&L -not Tributes- and particularly owned a L-1505), but I find G&Ls absolutely unplayable (compared with similar budget options such as Stingray 5ers -just an example of a nice playable bass-). Also electronics are crappy and noisy in any of them. So save yourself from some pain. IMHO, if you want a L-1505, then get a Stingray 5! Want a L-2500 or ASAT? Then get a Bongo!

ANDRUCA

8. That really doesnt justify the price difference though. If both sound the same tonally and have the same features I would go with the economy model.

9. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    I totally disagree with andruka. I have an ASAT, L2000 and a JB2 and find the ASAT and L2k much more versatile than the Ray. Its a matter of what works for you and what you are comfortable with. The Ray to me seems to be "one sound" but if it works for someone else then so be it.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My local dealer recently has picked up some Tributes and they really look great! I have played American G&Ls and they are generally better than Tributes (Tributes have better B string though) but not necessarily $600-1,000 better. Tributes are incredibly well made at their pricepoint. I don't have as much experience with them, but Tributes must be comparable to Lakland Skyline when it comes to fit and finish.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm sure there's a G&L dealer IN Ottawa, but I don't really go there much. Kingston has one -- Centre Stage Music. They had a few tributes (basses and guitars) and a couple of Cali-made ones. Check 'em out.

12. takk

takk

Dec 11, 2000
    El Segundo,CA
    I have tribute L-2500 and it sounds great for that price.
    But I have replaced all of 3 pots already... due to scratchy noise.
    Tribute comes with 2 year warranty, US model comes with 5 year.

13. I believe my US G&L came with a 10 year warranty.