1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L USA worth that much more than Tribute?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baddarryl, May 8, 2010.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Hi all, maybe this has been hashed before, but I didn't see it. I have been gassing for a G&L L2000 or 2500 for some time after reading about them. We'll we finally got a G&L dealer where I live so I finally got to play one. I played a Tribute L2000 and was very impressed. Loved it actually. I just like USA made stuff so I will order a USA if I can justify it, but wasn't able to play one. Are they worth that much more? Resale is always a consideration too. Thanks.

2. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Any difference in sound is very subjective. Both models use the same pickups. If you buy a used Tribute resale isn't much of a concern.

3. I've owned a USA L2k and played a few Tributes. Tribbys are nice but if you can afford it go with the USA model.

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Lots of minty used G&Ls out there, both US and Tribute. You missed the absolutely smoking deals by a couple years, as used G&Ls were dirt cheap. Still some good deals though, and much better than new.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Re-sale of US G&L's has been marginal IME but that holds true of many brands / models. Why don't you make that work to your advantage and buy a used US or Tribute model? No sense taking the "drive it off the lot" financial hit when there are so many available on the second-hand market.

Riis

6. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    It'd be helpful if you told him what differences you noticed between them.

7. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Yes. After playing the Tribute I am definitely sold on the idea of a G&L. I will go used as I can't afford new and won't put one on credit. Saw the exact one I would like on CL last month but didn't have the cash. Time to start a little side saving fund so I can pull the trigger when it counts! Thanks.

8. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Same thing can be asked of Fender. Or are Gibsons worth that much more than Epiphones?

Of course its subjective. But it boils down to one question:
    Is fit and finish worth that much to you? If it is then buy the USA. If it isnt then buy the import.

9. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Do Fenders/MIM/Squires and Gibson/Epiphones use the exact same pickups like the G&L USA/Tributes do?

10. woodsideh

woodsideh

Feb 19, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I own a USA L2000 and a Trib L2500. I bought them both used. The L2000 is a 93 model and I paid $500 for it with the HSC about a year ago. The only thing I have done to it is new strings periodically. The Trib L2500 is a 2007 model which I got about 6 months ago. I also paid $500 for it with a gig bag. The tuners on the Trib were cheapo in my opinion so I changed them to Hipshot. I had to smooth out the back of the neck with a 2000 grit sand paper. It seemed very rough to me. The nut is a cheap plastic that I haven't changed yet. But frankly none of this has really bothered me since I feel like I got a decent deal on it. I agree with the other guys. Look around, find a used one. They do exist. There was a USA L2000 on here a month or so ago for $700. Save your money, cut up the credit card and look for used. You will forever be glad that you did.

11. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    I think they are worth at least twice as much, but always buy used so you can most likely sell it for the same price.
    You are getting better wood and electronics with the USA G&L's.

12. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Maybe not, but it can be argued that the US G&L models are the equivalent of Fender's CS stuff which costs 3 times as much. So where is the value there?

All Im saying is the pricing diff between US and Tribute or US and MIM is similar and the value difference is equivalent.

Conversely, Gibson makes an SG bass and sells it for $1300 with the good paint and $800 with the crap paint job. Is that worth it?

13. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Opposing view. No.

Fit and finish is good on the Tribby, beautiful on the USA. It wasn't worth the extra to me, but I'm a hobby player.

Both great instruments.

14. the celt

the celt

Feb 15, 2010
    N.Ireland
    as i understand it the tribute electronics are the same as the US models.

15. NYCBass

NYCBass Gold Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Queens NY
    A Tribute to a USA G&L is like a Ford to a Lincoln Mercury. Looks alike but if you drive the two you see why one costs more.

What I find with the Tribute is that the neck is where it's short comings are. The wood is not dried the same way so it tends to be less stable and lacks in overall tone and sustain. But if your on a budget and want a G&L it's a great value.

16. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    I own 2 USA L2Ks and 1 Tribute L2k.

Boils down to two areas: Finish options, and re$ale. I find no appreciable differences in my two fretted l2k's, other than the Tribute's switches are up and down, the USA's are left and right. I prefer left and right, but that's hardly important. (You can switch them easily, I'm just lazy.)

The electronics and hardware on the Tributes are top notch, just like the USA versions. I wouldn't hesitate to gig with either model. Or record.

Either way you go, you win! I've sold my Stingray, Sterling, and Pedulla Rapture 5 since discovering El Tookays. (sup, craig!)

17. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Less stable? Seriously? You could fit your way through a biker gang swinging it by the neck and not have to adjust my Trib L2500.

Just curious, what are the drying differences?

18. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I almost bought a new lefty Tribute L2000 that I ordered in. It was going to cost me $700 plus taxes with no case or gig bag as the bags are not included for Canadian sales. So I was looking at $800 after taxes and another $100 for a decent case. I realized after I ordered it that I was going to be paying $900 for a bass with very little resale value that I had never tried and in advance and was an import version of the real thing.

So the bass came in to the store, I showed up to take it home and after the salesman unpacked it I discovered a small crack in the body where the neck bolts on and an obviously shimmed neck as there was a substantial gap in the neck pocket that looked really bad.

I refused to take the bass and the salesman called me back the next day to advise that this was the only lefty Tribute in Canada and I was looking at 1-2 months for a replacement. So I cancelled my order and got a refund, looked on craigslist and found a mint lefty USA made 2009 Stingray 4 with matching case for $1000

The Ray is pristine and plays like a dream. I don't regret a thing as I think my money was spent much more wisely on the Ray regardless of how nice the Tribute may have been even if it had not had any defects.

19. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Crabby, no question that for $100 more you were better off getting the 'Ray, however, I'm just amazed that a lefty Tribute would cost $900 in Canada. :eek:

In the states, these were going for $550 new, though the price recently went up past $600. I found my lefty used for $350. IMO, there is NO better bass to be found for under $600, but I agree at $900 it's not much of a bargain.

20. NYCBass

NYCBass Gold Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Queens NY
    The overseas necks are quickly kiln dried at a high temperature instead of just being left to dry at a natural state. What happens in a lot of cases is the wood takes moisture back in and the neck swells at an uneven rate. The unstableness will be seen as frets looking higher or lower when looking down the neck. It's not the frets, it's the trueness of the fingerboard that dose that. I would rather fight my way out of a biker bar and play with a US made neck.