G# on the E string sounds dull and has no resonance.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ImHereToAsk, Aug 11, 2018.

1. ImHereToAsk

ImHereToAsk

Jul 12, 2018
    Hello. Ive noticed some issue regarding my Low E string. The 4th fret (G#) sounds dead and weak in comparison to anywhere else on the string. I've tried raising the pickup height, rewinding the string to make sure it's not twisted. Tried different eq settings on the amp etc..
    I also did an experiment, i dropped the tuning to D checked the sound of the 4th fret. It wasn't dull, but when i checked 6th fret then (which is the G# again) it sounded like on the normal E tuning, dull and dead.
    Is this a problem with my string? Or maybe dead spots on the bass? Or is it just the G# which is less defined by nature?

2. What bass and what strings are in question here?

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Typical on a Fender - sell it and buy a good brand ;) .

You could try tightening the neck and bridge screws with the strings loosened. Additional weight on the head of the neck works to lower the dead spot to below "E".

4. ImHereToAsk

ImHereToAsk

Jul 12, 2018
    Ibanez Sr300E and Daddario nickel wound rounds 100. 80. 65. 45. strings

5. Sounds to me like the issue has something to do with the neck's resonant frequency rather than the strings themselves.

Tim Skaggs, MattZilla and RoadRanger like this.
  6. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    :rollno:

7. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NY
    Oh brother...

OP, there are tons of things to try. Search for dead spot remedies, cures, tips, tricks. Good luck!

ImHereToAsk likes this.
  8. ImHereToAsk

ImHereToAsk

Jul 12, 2018
    ill take it to a prof and let him check it out then

RoadRanger likes this.
  9. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Interesting - I've only heard of the Fender headstock shape (all four tuners on one side) having this issue. I've also heard it only affects "standard" scale instruments and not medium or short scales...

10. ImHereToAsk

ImHereToAsk

Jul 12, 2018
    Might a compressor fix the problem? It balances the volumes so that it's all more even, maybe this will make the dead note more loud so that it doens't ring out that fast? Any thoughts on this? And my mistake it's an SR300eb, not the shortscale version.

11. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    Just my opinion, but I would say instead of spending money on gear that only might address the problem, spend money on getting the bass fixed. Then it will be right all the time, not just if it's handcuffed to some effect.

12. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    (long boring answer that ends in "nope. Live with it and build a collection of basses that all have dead spots somewhere on their neck, some to lesser degrees. learn to use those dead spots musically")

Tim Skaggs and JMarkD like this.
  13. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    $100,000 hand-carved uprights have wolf notes. You can work on moving them around and reducing them, but if there were a universal perfect solution they wouldn’t happen to begin with.

What’s happening is you’re finding a place where the body/neck unit really likes that frequency and soaks up the string’s energy quickly.

Headstock weights, different strings (especially different gauge), tightening/loosening screws—whatever will change the resonance of the bass.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  14. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Hi,
    Is it new bass ?if yes, have you done setup ? if yes, your bass has dead spot.

If the new bass got return policy or exchange, just get another good piece.
    If cant and you love that bass, try some others high tension or low tension bass string. Sometimes, those string could make the dead spot move to others fret or hide on fret wire position and dint notible amymore.

I been try some lightweight and heavier tunings machines in my few previous bass guitar, it just move the dead spot to others fret.

I have same bass as yours, mine are no single dead spot, because I try few new piece at GC before check out.
    I hate dead spot , it is my nightmare.

Hope help.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    RoadRanger likes this.
  15. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Put a new string, if issue still there then it is the bass itself, I just to have an Ibanez SR that had a dead spot on the G#

Stefan Verbeeck and Yahboy like this.
  16. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Try tighten the neck join screws (before tighten, separate the neck and body, make sure both contact side are clean/flat/smooth without wood dust), tighten bridge screws and tuner screws (nut at front and single screw at behind).

Hope help

RoadRanger likes this.
  17. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Just plug my sr300E through hartke KB15.
    Mine have no dead spot issue from first fret till 24th fret.

18. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    G# ! Just leave that lavish gaudy note for the fancy pants wearing jazz scholars and demon worshipers.
    I would just go ahead and cut out the G# portion of all the frets containing that dastardly frequency.
    Good riddance! G natural will do just fine thank you.

19. Substitute the Ab instead.

20. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh:

(we call it Ab)

MattZilla likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021