1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G Sting Problems lol

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ImAGoodDuck, Oct 10, 2004.

1. No the thread isn't about butt floss lol. There is plenty of that stuff on the net as it is lol. My g string rattles like crazy on my bass and it kind of sounds like it's structure but it only happens on the g string. It makes its noise on open g and on a flat and thats it. I have checked cleats and seams and didn't see anything loose or coming up but could have missed it. I have also have heard that it could also be the nut is to low for the string. I will check this one out because it sounds most like my problem but like I said it has a structural sound rattle but I wouldn't know the sound of the nut being to low. If this is the case, fingers crossed that it is, what is a way to see with out buying a new nut for no reason? Also any other ideas? Thanks for your help people. Brian

2. Ive had rattle up in the peg box a few times. Check the tuners too.

3. I have checked all my tuners and stuff. The sound is all through the body too like you can hear it at all places and it doesn't get stronger at a certain spot either.

4. Have you checked your endpin? There are certain points--especially when I shorten it for playing while seated--where the pin on my bass rattles.

Also, have you peered in inside to see if there is a foreign object that has taken up residence?

5. Duck, we need more info. There are a bunch of posts about this. Use the search function, archives and Newbie links.
    Questions we would want you to answer would be like: only with the bow? Only when you pizz? Both? Being around G and A, maybe a wolf tone? Does it do it on the octave? ETC.

Oops, i just noticed Bob Branstetter directed you to an area that might help you....on your prior post below.

6. It only happens when I pizz. As far as I know it isn't a wolftone and it doesn't do it at any other octave or even like the same octave only on the d string.

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Loose endpin tip, maybe? I get that one once in a while.