G Sting Problems lol

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ImAGoodDuck, Oct 10, 2004.

1. No the thread isn't about butt floss lol. There is plenty of that stuff on the net as it is lol. My g string rattles like crazy on my bass and it kind of sounds like it's structure but it only happens on the g string. It makes its noise on open g and on a flat and thats it. I have checked cleats and seams and didn't see anything loose or coming up but could have missed it. I have also have heard that it could also be the nut is to low for the string. I will check this one out because it sounds most like my problem but like I said it has a structural sound rattle but I wouldn't know the sound of the nut being to low. If this is the case, fingers crossed that it is, what is a way to see with out buying a new nut for no reason? Also any other ideas? Thanks for your help people. Brian
  2. Ive had rattle up in the peg box a few times. Check the tuners too.
  3. I have checked all my tuners and stuff. The sound is all through the body too like you can hear it at all places and it doesn't get stronger at a certain spot either.
  4. Have you checked your endpin? There are certain points--especially when I shorten it for playing while seated--where the pin on my bass rattles.

Also, have you peered in inside to see if there is a foreign object that has taken up residence?
  5. Duck, we need more info. There are a bunch of posts about this. Use the search function, archives and Newbie links.
    Questions we would want you to answer would be like: only with the bow? Only when you pizz? Both? Being around G and A, maybe a wolf tone? Does it do it on the octave? ETC.

Oops, i just noticed Bob Branstetter directed you to an area that might help you....on your prior post below.
  6. It only happens when I pizz. As far as I know it isn't a wolftone and it doesn't do it at any other octave or even like the same octave only on the d string.
  7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Loose endpin tip, maybe? I get that one once in a while.