1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G string is not loud What controls can I use

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MartinsFerry, Nov 25, 2010.

1. My G string is not as loud when playing as the others. I have used different basses and still the same problem.
    I use a Peavey tour 700 w/equalizer and all kind of different controls into a GK 4x10 & or a Peavey 1x15, tried 3 different basses still same effect. When I want more out of the high notes I can't get it. Also I have a fender J and a Ibanez Sr505. The Ibanez sounds much better and is easier to play. But what can I set my amp controls at to get the higher notes on the G string without losing the boom, boom. boom on the deep notes

2. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    If it's the string and not the notes, i.e., if you play the same notes up high on the D string and the problem is not there, then nothing you can do with EQ or amp settings will make any difference. A heavier gauge G string might help.

3. Agreed

4. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    You could try adjusting your p-ups to elevate the g string side. This should help. -Luke

5. Does this happen on any one particular gig or is it a permanent problem.The reason I ask is that the acoustics of a particular venue may be the reason.When you said you tried different basses and still had the problem it reminded me of a similar problem I had with one particular club.In my case it was one particular note that sounded far far louder than any other,but ONLY at this club.Turned out it was an anomaly with the clubs acoustics at fault,not the bass's fault and not the rig's.

6. If it happens when you play on your own at low volume it probably just a setup issue, maybe a dodgy string or the pickup needs to be raised on the G side.

If it happens mainly when you play out its probably linked to room acoustics...
    Your always going to have a few notes that react strangely to the room when you play a high volume, either getting louder or quieter than the rest.

It could also just be the way the bass is...
    I have a Gibson thunderbird that is absolutely amazing apart from a quiet low F...
    Nothing that makes it unplayable but there is a definite difference between the E, F and F sharp. I have tried everything and nothing made a difference, i just live with it...

7. Remember, though, this apparently happens to ALL 3 of his basses, so it's probably not a matter of a faulty setup or strings, or dead spots. It's (IMO) either the amp, or the space.