Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G String sounds muted

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 6-3-2, Apr 19, 2004.

1. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well I just got a new bass, and it's sounds wonderful, but the G string doesn't ring out as much as the other strings, it's quiet, it's feels tighter to play as well. How should I adjust my bass to fix this? It has a Badass Bass II bridge if that helps.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If its quieter, try raising the pickup on the side of the G string.

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I thought about that, but I have a feeling it's an action problem, especially since the string feels much tighter then the rest, I just have no idea how to adjust my bass in order to change that.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is the string higher off the fretboard than the others?

5. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    No, actually it's much lower, maybe that's the problem.

6. 6-3-2, this could be a number of small things going wrong.....such as, the string not sitting in the saddle groove properly. It could also be, the string not sitting properly in the nut.

It could be a dead string. Check all these things and then get back to us, we are willing to help you out!

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well thanks I'll check those things too, and as soon as it's sounding right I'll post some pics.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What kind of bass is it?

9. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    A Killer Beelze, go to killer.jp to check out a pic, i have a white one. Anybody know what size the allen wrench is for a Bada** Bass II bridge is? I got it used so i didn't get one.

10. http://www.leoquan.com/html/welcome.html

For spare parts and replacements &
    OEM, Distributor, and Wholesale pricing,
    please contact:

Bruce Paine
    Director of Marketing
    bruce@leoquan.com

I emailed Bruce and I will post back when I get his reply. I have misplaced my Allen wrench and I'm not sure of the size either!

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. 6-3-2, as promised.....

Subject: Re: Bad Ass II Bridge
    Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:04:13 -0700
    To: Treena Foster

Treena,

It's .050

Keep on Rockin,

Bruce

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So it's .050 -6-3-2..........good luck!

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Got it fixed now, way up on the fretboard the notes don't ring out too much, but I can deal with that. The action feels much better now, just had to lower it a bit. Thanks for the help everyone, really appreciate it.