G3 concert

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by steve09, Jul 2, 2004.

1. steve09

Jun 27, 2004
    on tuesdy i went to the G3 concert which was Increddible
    dose anyone know the name of steve vais bassist hes amasing
    played a wicked solo and was brillaint lol
  2. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    His name is Billy Sheehan. He was in Talas, and then in the David Lee Roth Band with Steve Vai. After that he formed Mr Big and Niacin and now plays with Steve Vai on occasion.... :bassist:
  3. steve09

Jun 27, 2004
    hes goiod isnt he
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'd love to see G3, but Robert Fripp is only doing dates in Europe. I will have to pass.
  5. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    From what I've heard, Fripp sucked big time. He plays along tape, no backup band and most of the audience went to grab a beer during his set.
  6. suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    Couple of friends of mine saw G3 in the UK (Bournemouth) last Sunday.

According to them, Vai and Satriani were on top form, but they found Fripp very disappointing. For the most part it sounded like he used a midi pickups on his guitar to build up some orchestral/choir style loops and sounds.

They found him technically impressive, but thought that the music he came up with wasn't the slightest bit engaging, and was more to do with showing off the layering of different midi generated sounds.

Sadly I missed out on a ticket so can't comment first hand..
  7. steve09

Jun 27, 2004
    i saw it in london and yes most people did grab a beer while fripp was playing, it sounded like dolpin music.
    it was very clever how he did it but i felt he did it to the rong audenice..
  8. im going to see vai when he comes down here on the 26th....wish satriani would tour down here again..considering i was only 4 or 5 when satch was here last and that was with mick jagger and stu hamm was playing with em..i know cos i got one of the basses that stu used here in newcastle :smug: .....but i wish vai had stu with him again....from what ive heard of billy......id rather he had stu, stu is a ledgend
  9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The problem with G3 is that the people going are expecting a wankfest. Fripp is pushing guitar into new territory; exploring ambience. He does not play with a tape - he is generating all of that noise in real time, and many times is improvising the whole bit. It's fascinating work,really, but I don't think G3 is the type of tour for that. Too many meatheads in attendance, you know. :p
  10. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Well, I heard that from a drummer...

See above ;)

A guitarist buddy went to the show and he liked Fripp. But he was pissed off because of the audience behavior during the show. I can't blame him.
  11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Exactly. Before one of the Projeckts (where Belew played drums all night?!?!?) at the Great American Music Hall he came out and spun up some ambient guitar madness in an ever morphing loop and just let it ride for about an hour as people filed in. He creates some very cool soundscapes but it definitely isn't wankfest material.

Side note...he actually came to the front of stage mic and talked to the audience. He said his sister lives in SF, and was there, and he promised he'd break his typical silent and mysterious thing as a favor to her.
  12. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Although I semi-enjoy Fripp's solo meanderings, he really should let loose with a 64th note whole tone solo over 11/8....that should please the meatheads!
  13. krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    I saw g3 in the royal albert hall, it was a good show. Fripp was um interesting, it was cool for the first 5 minutes but it didn't go anywhere, if you are going to play in g3 you need to spend more time playing your guitar than with your effect settings and play more than one note every 4 bars.
    billy sheehan was great that night, want to see him again
  14. Stu is good, I'll give him that, but his playing isn't a fraction of what Sheehan's is. Vai, Sheehan, and Denoti should form a power trio :)
  15. hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    throw in Tony McAlpine, and you got yourself a group!
  16. Ahh, yes. How could I forget about that guy! Make it a power quartet!
  17. ok...all i gotta say is what a Bull**** remark that is, Considering Stu Played for satch, the teacher, and sheehan is playing for Vai, The Student, and Satch called stu the "Bass Incarnate"...and have you heard stu's solo album Kings Of Sleep? if stu is only playing a fraction of what billly is, i hope billy has as many arms as gishnu, i saw a video of one of billy's live tapping solo's, and i was utterly unimpressed, for about 3+ minutes both his hands were in the same shape going all over the finger board, both left hand and right playing the root and octave and 4th and octave to that, same in both hands just alternating......but what ive also heard from someone who went to one of billy's masterclasses here a few years ago said he left about half an hour early based on the fact that billy cant groove, he may of had the chops, but whats the point if you cant groove, and thats where stu excells, he can play as complicated or as simple as he wants and groove as hard as jaco's and jamersons love child...

but just good? id say that rob trujillo, john myung, timmy c, ben kenny, traa and phillip bynoe are just "good" comparing stu to their level is almost imcomprehensable