1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gage Soundclip

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Mark Perna, May 7, 2010.

1. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    Reminds me of a Barcus-Berry on a bass I used in highschool. Sure hope it sounds better.

cressotti likes this.
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Calivox,
    It is a lot of bread, I agree with you. I'm not an early adopter especially at this price. David Gage should post some sound clips on the site that would help us get an idea of what it sounds like. The Realist works very well on my bass, but it's placement is not exactly ideal since it impacts the transmission of sound between the bridge and the top and bass bar. It's very minimal but not ideal.

Ric

Ric

3. I have one bass where the Realist works fine. On the other bass, it interrupts the transmission so much it is unusable. Sound clips from the SoundClip would be nice even knowing that it'll sound different on my own basses.

mark

4. I have seen it. The interesting thing about it to me is that you can leave it off the bass until you need it.

5. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    $400??

That price is just totally insane. It must be diamond-studded right?

Seems to me the extra money is for the name attached to it.

6. CimaJazz

CimaJazz

Jan 14, 2005
    I do not like the idea of clamping a piece of hardware to the bridge. It will alter tone, sustain, and volume. Mutes work this way.

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Then my copper Realist was a bargain at $180.:hyper:

Sure, it's very expensive and I won't be rushing out to try one anytime soon. Machining, drilling, tapping and a volume control on the pickup all cost money. Compared to most piezos it is a feat of engineering.
    If it sounds good, they will sell more than enough.

8. doberman

doberman

Sep 16, 2009
    Maryland
    i think the main idea is that working bassists that travel a lot (without their bass) can buy this, bring it with them and put it on any bass they get. I've heard plenty of stories of terrible basses people have to play on the road, equipped with terrible pick-ups. If you like the sound, this will maybe give some sort of continuity from night to night. So for your average guy like me that stays around town and plays locally for the most part, the price is probably not as justifiable (nor the application) as someone on the road playing different basses every night.

9. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    True,
    The Realist is a pretty simple pickup by comparison. The complicated
    design of the Sound Clip put's it in the same category as the Schertler Dyn-B and Schertler Stat B Vintage. I'm not sure whether I buy into this particular design or not. You have to wonder how heavy the unit is? No info on that just yet. There is one thing it's important to mention though. All pickups interrupt the transmission of sound to the instrument to some degree, so it just kind of depends on what you are willing to put up with.

Ric

10. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    The Full Circle shouldn't affect the tone of the bass anymore than aluminum adjusters. All others that I can think of theoretically will.
    However, the only thing that really matters is the sound coming out of an amplifier. If the SoundClip negatively affects the acoustic tone it can easilly be taken off.

11. For me, it depends on how well it works. I've had luck with, of all things, a BP-100 on my main bass (doesn't work at all on the backup), the Realist works on the back up but not the main bass, Stat-B worked reasonably well on both basses when strung with gut but not with steel, I've had no luck at all with any wing mounted pickup.

If this thing works and I get a good sound out of it, $400 isn't an outrageous price particularly since I don't have to modify the bass in any way nor do I have to take anything apart including removing and reinstalling any strings to put it on. In the overall scheme of things, when I think about how much money I've dropped over the years trying different pickups and strings, $400 isn't much. Plus, if it works on both basses, I only need one pickup and I can swap it as needed which means I get two pickups for the price of one. Three if I can also use it on my Kolsten travel bass. The thing is positively cheap looked at from that perspective. Plus I can take it off for recording without having to modify the bass in any way.

On the other hand, if it sounds like donkey poop, $400 is big hole in my pocket. I may as well have taken 4 $100 bills out on the street and burned them.

I'd like to hear some sound clips of one or testimonials of someone who has tried it before dropping $400.

mark

12. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
  13. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Better to have a 90% bass that the audience can hear, than to have a 100% bass that can't be heard past the first row.

14. CimaJazz

CimaJazz

Jan 14, 2005
    I respect your take on this; I think that there other efficient alternatives to get a bass amplified.

15. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    The full circle isnt a direct path through aluminium though.

The bottom component of the FC (non threaded) is like a diaphragm. Its in contact with the piezos. Im fairly sure it makes the E and A strings less transparent and a little duller.

Either that or the mass of the whole adjuster assembly, which is about 16-17 grams.

16. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Since,
    I don't use a Full Circle I didn't know that it was hollow inside. That's interesting.

Ric

17. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Since, I'm not a purist, I agree with you and I'm not going to go back
    to a non adjustable bridge because had several bridges warp on me before adjusters were available. David Gage did some test comparing instruments with and without adjusters and they couldn't hear that much difference. But I've read on Talkbass that when the Full Circle was installed on some basses it changed the tone.

Ric

18. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    The only thing that bugs me a little is the way the jack mounts. Muting the afterlengths is most certainly going to change the acoustic sound. If I get a Full Circle one of these days I'm going to see if they can mount the jack like my Realist.

19. Some players do mount the jack this way......