1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien-Krueger MB212-II Or?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4IsEnough, Nov 20, 2016.

1. 4IsEnough

4IsEnough

Apr 9, 2016
    So my fiance is Christmas shopping for me. Budget is 800 or 900.

I'm looking for a combo to use at home, at practice, and for small to medium sized gigs.

Weight isn't really an issue, nor is size.

MarkBass stuff really doesn't do it for me, sorry MarkBass fans lol! The Fender combos are "OK" to me, they "feel" kinda cheap. I like the "GK sound" but unfortunately can't find an MB212-II to try before I buy.

Can I do better for 800 or 900.00 or should I go ahead and tell her to have the MB212-II under the tree for me?

Thanks in advance guys!

2. 4IsEnough

4IsEnough

Apr 9, 2016
    My other thought is a Mesa/Boogie Subway D-800+ from her... then get myself a 2x10 to use at home and practice.

3. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    just got my mesa d800 and subway 2x10 cabinet last week,demoed with my old cab and the new cab,sounds good through the gk and awesome through the 2x10!
    former/current amps;markbass little mark2(died after 5 years),gk mb115 combo, gk mb200 head,all good sounding amps,but the mesa seems to really punch through in a live mix!
    20161116_190040.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  4. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    I've got the GK you are considering and it's great. I've also played a subway and that thing sounds great too. Especially through two Hathors.

Have you looked for a used amp yet? I picked up my MB212II here from the classifieds for $425 shipped.

Spector2112 and pudgychef like this.
  5. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    The GK MB212 is all you need and more.

Susqmike and aaronious like this.
  6. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Have a GK MB212 II with the MBP115 extension. Truthfully you can't go wrong with the MB212. Light, GK tone, can add MBP cabs if or when needed.

I'd suggest you get one of these to go with it. It keeps the amp off the floor, your neighbors will thank you, and puts it closer to where you can hear it while practicing or playing a gig.
    BS-317 - Quiklok - Professional Music Equipment and Accessories

packhowitzer and FirewalZ like this.
  7. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    Agreed. My MB212-II is so surprisingly loud and powerful that I'm starting to think that I could have easily gotten away with the MB112-II and a powered extension for the rare times I felt I needed it. One of the selling points for me of the 212 over the 112 (besides more wattage) was the added tone circuitry, but honestly it sounds great with everything set flat. My band is admittedly not high volume, but even so I've not needed to turn the MB212-II up more than a quarter.

shawshank72 likes this.
  8. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Since you're strictly looking at combos, the MB212 is a fantastic option. It's certainly GK in tonal character, so without one to try out you can at least be sure you won't be getting some gutted shell with the GK nameplate.

However, based on your small/medium gigging needs, i'm not convinced that the 500 watt combo is going to do for you, what their smaller combos (MB112, 115) with an extension cab can.

The lower price can offset the powered extension cab, which would put the speakers closer to your ear and add another 200 watts; the downside is the 112 doesn't have a horn if that's your preference.

The most common complaint I hear from combo owners is that they "aren't loud enough" which is caused by two big factors. Lack of speakers could be one issue, or, they're plenty loud but not close enough to the ear providing the user adequate perceived volume.

Best of luck!!!

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Consider Carvin.

10. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    The GK is a great amp, however I grabbed an Amp BA 210 v2, coupled with my 1x12 300 watt cab it sounds killer. Also with the rebate Ampeg has on till the end of November it would be about half the price of the GK. Both are excellent choices :)

11. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

If you like the GK sound then yes it will probably be a great fit for you but definitely try to get one used. Save some green.

12. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I have an original GK MB212 and love it. You will too!

13. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Ditto here. Hell of an amp!

Good Luck!

14. 4IsEnough

4IsEnough

Apr 9, 2016
    Beyond practice, the most it would be used for is stage volume. Can always add the 500 watt powered 2x12 to it though lol!

15. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    I've played/ owned all the ones you speak about. I currently own the Rumble 500 Combo, I'm a huge fan and have nothing bad to say about it.

That being said. The MB 2x12 is simply better in every way. More durable feeling, louder, more powerful, cleaner tone but will still be dirty girl when you need her to. I think it's 5 lbs heavier than the Rumble. If you don't like markbass, and I'm not sure why you wouldn't, the GK in that price range is simply the best out there, IMO.

Buzz E likes this.
  16. j0llysnowman

j0llysnowman

Jan 28, 2013
    I have this combo, and it kills. Band is pretty loud, and I have no trouble putting everyone in their place when needed. I've played gigs both with and without PA support - haven't had any issues yet. I usually leave the EQ flat, maybe occasionally boosting the lo-mid. I haven't found a good use for the contour button, but if you spend time with the boost knob, you might find that good ole GK growl :D

I dream of being good enough to justify the powered 212. Oof.

Current main bass is a SUB SB4 (cheap MusicMan Sterling), but I also use a Fender Mustang.

17. The Rage

The Rage

Nov 12, 2013
    I have the GK MB 212-II. To me it sounds a bit "boxy" when set flat (but maybe it's fault of the bass I was using at the time), but I've bought it 'because it was advertised as light and powerful, and it really is!
    Used it in a classic metal (judas Priest, saxon ecc...) band with a loud drummer and loud but judicious guitarists (yes, they exist) and think usually I've never raised the gain past 9 o' clock.
    With a 212 mbp cab you can turn the combo in a 4x12 1000w monster... good for demolishing buildings :D

18. I have a GK MB212 combo and it rocks! No problem keeping up with a strong drummer. I have yet to turn the volume above 1/3 with 1/2 gain and 1/4 boost. It weighs only 35 lbs. and it is a compact size that easily fits into the back of my Smart Car! Try it, you'll like it. ;):thumbsup:

19. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I have been gigging regularly for the last 2 years with my MB212-ii....more than enough volume and power for anywhere ill play. However on many smaller stages when im too close I have trouble hearing. Ive been looking for an amp stand, the above works with this combo?

20. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Another happy GK MB212-II user chiming in. Great piece of hardware. 500W, 212, full featured, only weighs 41 pounds, and easily fits in the trunk of my Dodge Dart. Best amp I've owned by a large margin.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021