Gallien Krueger MBX 112 Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by LowNote, Oct 14, 2005.

1. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I just purchased one of these cabinets to take with me to Scotland as an extension speaker for my older GK MB 150E that I have as my principal amp over there. When it arrived in Los Angeles today, I tried it out using both an AI Focus and a WW Ultra to drive it with my Eastman hybrid bass and Fishman Full Circle pickup. I know these are considered low tech by current speaker standards, but it sounds quite good, can get reasonably loud, and it weighs only 12 pounds! I've ordered a padded bag for it from Tuki, and using either the Woods or the Focus (which will fit in the top of the bag), this makes for one light and easily transportable rig. It is not going to sound as good as my AI New Yorker, but it will also cost a lot less (the total cost of the speaker was only $260 from RMC Audio) and be light and easy to transport. The cabinet is sufficiently thin that it can be easily carried on board a plane as carry-on baggage as well. In fact, I plan on carrying the speaker on board with me when I go to Scotland in a couple of weeks.

Erik Hansen
    Los Angeles
  2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    What/who is Tuki? I just bought one of those extension speakers. I love it!
  3. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I used the MBX 112 for quite awhile as the cabinet to be paired with my Walter Woods. It was the perfect cab to take on the subway, and sounded pretty good to boot--not super hi-fi, but it did the trick. I recently sold it to an esteemed TB'er whom I hope is enjoying it (ahem...SS? whaddaya think?) and while I haven't missed it so much (no subway in Indiana...) it definitely was a better choice than the Polytone I stupidly replaced it with.

But when I sold this little cabinet, it didn't have the melted rosin-goo on the speaker cone like the GKMB150 I sold you lo these many years ago, Erik--are you still using that one? ;) Man did I kick myself for selling it when I was schlepping up and down the stairs at school all day with my WW+speaker cab on a luggage cart...
  4. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    No, sadly I sold the 150S that you sold me quite some time ago and I'm sorry now that I did. At the time, I had an MB 150E and the S was just sitting around not getting used. I don't remember the name of the guy who bought it from me but he was in SoCal and seem tickled to get his hands on it. I took my E to Scotland to use over there--after getting it converted to 240 volts--and it has been a godsend in a country with tiny cars and lots of public transportation. I'm taking the MBX with me this time because I'm concerned that I'll run into some situations where I need the extra oomph. I've just won an eBay auction for a new E to have here, although I think I paid too much ($500) and I haven't heard from the seller so the deal could collapse.
  5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    a) The Lunchbox is a pleasure to carry. DB, Woods & Lunchbox = one trip and MUCH better sound than the GK MB200 I briefly owned.

b) As others note, the Lunchbox provides adequate sound. It lacks the transparency and detail of the Euphonic VL-208. The crowd at Bebe's Burritos takes no notice. I notice.

Thanks again, Jeremy. I'm satisfied. The Lunchbox is in my car right now ready for the weekend's festivities.
  6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Tuki used to make custom covers for anything you wanted.
    As I understand it now they are currently making all kinds of cabinet covers for Epifani. Here is there current website. They make a cover for the Microbass Series Combos, I'm guessing that what Eric has.

Ric Vice
  7. Have FUN playing around with the G/K 112 MBX Extension speaker/s but suggest exercising CARE in placing an Acoustic Image Amp head on TOP of the 112 MBX metal cab.

See my thread on this topic on Page 5 of the "Amps and Pickups" section titled "Acoustic Image Heads with metal speaker cabinets."

Best wishes -

Bob McHenry
  8. Randy Ward

Randy Ward Formally Known As Univac Jr. Supporting Member

Hmm I looked up the specs for the Gallien Krueger MBX 112 Speaker 8 ohms 100 watts. I borrowed one from a guitarist once and I thought it had a higher rating. Worked pretty durn good. I like the lunch box nickname Sam. I want to get one with Star Wars on wait .....Transformers
    dfp likes this.