Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallien Krueger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ~Pugz~, Jul 8, 2005.

1. ~Pugz~

~Pugz~

Jul 8, 2005
    Over the last month or so I have been looking around for a new rig to play on but I have had trouble making a final decision.

I have now considered Gallien Krueger and I've only ever heard good things come from gallien krueger and have been lucky enough to play some of their equipment which i thought was brilliant so I am putting their cabs into consideration now.

For me it has been a choice between quality or quantity of cabs, either 2 cabs + head -4x10 and 1x15- of either Ashdown MAGs or Fender Bassman cabs or possibly Hartke. Either that or just one cab which is much better sound quality wise, but more expensive + the head and then eventually buying the second cab later.

I have been looking at the 3 Artist series cabs. If I am to get 1 cab of higher quality I want to go for a 1x15 so here are the 3 different selections from Gallien Krueger.

Gallien Krueger 115RBH bass cab Price: £ 636.00

[​IMG]

Specifications

IMPEDANCE:
    8 ohms
    POWER RATING:
    400 Watts
    WOOFER:
    1xGK-Paragon 15B400-8, Cast Frame, 15", 400W High Presence Voice Coil
    TWEETER:
    GK-Paragon 5H50-8
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
    50Hz to 19 kHz + 5dB
    SENSITIVITY:
    106dB
    CROSS OVER:
    HMS Bi-Amp/Full Range Switch, Horn Power Limiter, L-Pad High Frequency Attenuator
    CONNECTORS:
    1xHMS Compatible Bi-Amp/Full Range Speakon, 1x1/4" (Full Range Only)
    CONSTRUCTION:
    11-Ply Poplar, Black Carpet, 16 Gauge Steel Grill, Removable Nickel Plated Castors, Custom Tooled Interlocking Corners and Dual Front Loaded Ports
    WEIGHT:
    67 lbs
    DIMENSIONS:
    23"H x 27.5"W x 18"D

Neo 15 Price: £ 499.00

[​IMG]

Specifications

IMPEDANCE:
    8 ohms
    POWER RATING:
    300 Watts
    WOOFER:
    1xGK-Paragon 15B300-8, Stamped Frame, 15", 300W, 8 ohm Neodymium
    TWEETER:
    GK-Paragon 5H50-8
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
    36Hz to 19 kHz
    SENSITIVITY:
    97dB
    CROSS OVER:
    HMS Bi-Amp/Full Range Switch, Horn Power Limiter, L-Pad High Frequency Attenuator
    CONNECTORS:
    CONSTRUCTION:
    11-Ply Poplar, Black Tolex, 16 Gauge Steel Grill, Removable Nickel Plated Castors, Custom Tooled Interlocking Corner System and Front Loaded Ports
    WEIGHT:
    54 lbs
    DIMENSIONS:
    20.8"W x 23"H x 16"D

115SBX-II Price: £ 375.00

[​IMG]

Specifications

IMPEDANCE:
    8 ohms
    POWER RATING:
    400 Watts
    WOOFER:
    1xGK-Paragon 15B400A-8, Cast Frame, 15", 400W, 8 ohm
    TWEETER:
    GK-Paragon 5H50-8
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
    36Hz to 19 kHz + 5dB
    SENSITIVITY:
    101dB
    CROSS OVER:
    CONNECTORS:
    CONSTRUCTION:
    11-Ply Poplar, Black Carpet, 16 Gauge Steel Grill, Removable Nickel Plat ed Castors, Custom Tooled Interlocking Corners, Front Ported
    WEIGHT:
    64 lbs
    DIMENSIONS:
    23"W x 23"H x 18"D

What I want to know is whether paying almost twice the price for the RBH is worth it rather than getting a SBX.
    Visually the SBX and the RBH are very nice but that doesn't really matter at all to me. When it comes down to it the most important issue is whether the sound is good and it is reasonable for its price.

The RBH is really pushing the price I want to go to but its still do-able and if it is really worth the extra money I would go for that.
    Does anyone own any of these amps that could comment on them?

I want to try stay under £900 if possible but i don't really see that happening :p

I just want to know what peoples opinions are on these amps and if it is worth me going for less cabs but better quality and more expensive rather than just getting a cheaper set of MAGs or something.

Thanks for your help.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What kind of music are you looking at playing? The RBH is ported, therefore boomier, and it does move air, so all things being the same, this cab seems louder. However the SBX is sealed, meaning it's punchier, though a bit quieter. I prefer the SBX cab series because of this.

The NEO's are great for a nice overall tone, but my experience with these is limited.

3. ~Pugz~

~Pugz~

Jul 8, 2005
    I do lots of Rock/Funk and Jazz.

Having the most volume isn't overly important so the SBX does sounds more favourable tbh. The SBX is much more easily within my price range and thats a big benefit for me atm.

I would be looking for nice punch also so im thinking the SBX is going to be the best choice.

Is there much difference between sound quality of the RBH and the SBX series though?

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Its not a quality issue, more of a character one. As was said already, one is ported one isn't, ported cabs have a very different sound from sealed ones, so you chose the one that will best fit your needs.

The RBH used to have higher rated drivers as well, but the SBXII line all have the same power ratings as the comperable RBH cabs.

The Neos have a totally different sound (from what I hear, never heard one yet) and have lighter weight magnets. Also the have a cool shiny grill.

Just out of curiosity why no GK head? One of the top reasons to use GK cabs is to take advantage of thier unique horn biamping system, which you can only get from a GK head.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Apparently Tash and I are on the same wavelength. 41.2 Hz I think.

Anyway, the variability is only in design, as the drivers are identical and the ratings are identical. It's more of a question do you want loud and boomy from the RBH or tight and focused from the SBX?

And yes, why no GK head?

6. I have used Gallien Krueger heads for a while now- a 400RB III and an 800RB which I am using now, both have provided me with loads of room, and have been completely trouble free. GK heads sound good, you can dial in pretty much anything- and their power rating to Headroom will out match pretty much anything.

I haven't used their cabs but I have used Hartke XL (home/band), SWR (shop) Pro and Working Pro series, Eden (shop) XLT series 410 & 212, Ampeg (home), Ashdown Mag410 (shop) all with Gallien Krueger heads and they all sound great except for the Hatke's which are a little zingy due to the alloy cones :rolleyes: The Ashdown Mag cabinets sound good- they self fro around $900 AUD here- but I have read of problems with their speakers adn I found them to be easily distorted when playing abit harder.

There was a review on the GK 1001RB II and 212 Neo cabinet posted in this forum just a week ago, it should only be a few pages back under amps- take a read of that and tryout some of the Neo cabinets- I hear they sound awesome. And should be much lighter than the SBX RBX cabinets.

Check it out.
    -Cul

7. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The RBH and SBX will be quite different, as already said. The RBH will go lower, the SBX will be punchier. It's a trade-off.

I would be interested to hear where the Neo fits. Punchy but still goes low, the best of both worlds?

8. ~Pugz~

~Pugz~

Jul 8, 2005
    Yeh i was considering the Gallien-krueger 700RB as head.

9. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    i have a 1001rbII thru a GKneo112 over a neo115, and the setup is really quite good

the biamping system is cool when the volume is high, but i haven't found it of much use when playing at home volumes

10. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I, as probably many others, would be interested in a comparison of the 12 vs. the 15.

Also, if the SBX is "punchy," and the RBH is, "low, but can get boomy," where would you put the Neo 115 between those two?

11. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca

sure thing...this weekend, i'll try the 12 and 15 separately and make some notes on what i hear

as for where the neo sits betwen the rbh and sbx, good question!

my local shop only had the 412rbh in when i bought my 115--i'll see if they've gotten in the 15 rbh tomorrow when i stop by

12. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I have an original 115SBX and it is rear ported. According to the GK website, the 115SBX-II is front ported. I think you may have them confused with the previous RBS series cabs which, if I'm not mistaken, were sealed.

I use the 115SBX with a 210SBX and a 700RB-II. It's an absolute killer rig. Tonight I brought it to an audition for a two guitarist driven hard rock cover band. Both guitarists played through Marshall stacks and not only was the GK more than loud enough, but every note I played cut through like a knife. Sounded so sweet too.

Oh....and yeah, I got the gig :hyper:

13. I need to correct some things here. The 115SBX-II is a ported cabinet. It has two round ports in the bottom front corners. The earlier version was rear ported but we managed to improve the efficiency by moving the ports to the front. Also, the 115SBX has a lower frequency response than the 115RBH.

The 115RBH is more efficient and therefore much louder. It also has punchier highs. If you want loud and punchy go with the RBH, but if you want low and smooth go with SBX.

In my opinion, the Neo 115 is the best of the three. It has the low response and smoothness of the SBX but the punchy mids of the RBH. It's really an incredible sound. It also has some desireable characteristics that the others don't have such as really nice strong high frequency response that isn't harsh. Also, it adapts well to different playing styles. I'm completely sold on Neodymium speakers. And if you ever do need a little more just add the Neo 112 for the most incredible mini stack you've ever heard in your life.

14. ~Pugz~

~Pugz~

Jul 8, 2005
    I was considering eventually buying the SBX4x10" of the RBH 4x10" (depending on which i chose RBH or SBX) so that would make up for the SBX's quieter volume and give punchier highs.

By the sounds of it they are both awesome rigs and with my budget it seems like the SBX is going to be much more favourable. I am looking for a nice low response too which is provided by the SBX so in conclusion it would seem to be the winner out of the two.

I still haven't really considered the Neo Cabs yet though.

15. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Right on the money with that description.