1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Garbo/Anima question

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by WarEagle, Dec 31, 2012.

1. WarEagle

WarEagle Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Cullman, AL.
    Been thinking of trying some Velvet strings but really don't know which one would be best for me. I won't be doing any bowing. Also, how is the tension on these strings compared to guts and spiros? I know they are from one extreme to the next, but are they somewhere between? Love the sound of the guts, but love the tension of the spiros. What about volume too? I play bluegrass, looking for an old sound.Thanks for any help.

2. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    I have a set of the Garbo/gut G, which replaced a set of EP weichs. Lower tension but much thicker strings, and benefit from being higher set from the fingerboard. I do a little bowing in the practice room only, and I don't mind the tone for that sort of scratchy jazz solo vibe -- wouldn't wash at all for a classical player.

I find them easier to amplify than the EPs with my setup -- perhaps the shorter sustain reduces their tendency to feedback, and this characteristic is also what would make them a good bluegrass string, in my estimation as someone who doesn't play bluegrass!

For my money, they're a great balance between gut tone and steel-string playability. They do take a while to "break in", both in terms of their tone and their tuning stability, at least when compared with the EPs, which are phenomenal in that regard. Not the cheapest experiment, but one I'm happy I undertook.

3. I played Animas for some time and I realy like these strings. There tension is somewere between gut and spiros, more on the gut side. Animas have a more modern sound, Garbo are more old school. Animas are fine for jazz, Garbos would be okay for bluegrass. You can listen to:

http://www.hervejeanne.de/saitenmatrix.php

If you don't want to bow I think Garbos would be a good choice. You can replace the G for a G gutstring.
    There is also a Garbo lightset with a plain gut G string.

http://www.velvetstrings.com/velvetstrings/garbo.html

Velvet strings are not cheap but they are of good quality.

4. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I think both Garbos and Animas are good bluegrass strings. I've had a mix of Animas, Garbos and guts on my bluegrass/blues bass bass for a while now and they work really well. Slapping on them isn't as metallic and sound is full and big. If you're thinking about any bowing go for Animas.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021