1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gary (the) King!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by keyzer, Nov 29, 2006.

1. keyzer

keyzer

Jun 30, 2006
    Spain
    Does anybody knows him? He was session player in the 70´s, in the Creed Taylor CTI records, with Bob James, Tom Scott, George Benson, Hubert Laws, Earl Klugh, Gato Barbieri, Eric Gale...
    A real master. Very clean, solid, musician.
    What he is doing now?
    What bass he used to play?

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Just tagging on for some Gary King love, wonderful player!:cool:

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    he is a great player. i love his stuff on Tom Scott, Bob James, Eric Gale, and Richard Tee's stuff.

According to www.allmusic.com he's still playing. His credits look like he's doing session work and such.

The only picture of his bass i have seen is on Bob James' Touchdown LP. All you can see is a little of the fretboard and headstock, i couldn't make out what kinda bass it was.

4. BassLand

BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    Boy talk about a blast from the past... He was definately one of the guys I listened to back in the day. He used to play an Atlansia bass made in Japan by this rather eccentric luthier. Nice memories

BL

5. the only time I've heard him was when they played a Bob James concert on BETJazz a while back. He started slapping out a nice groove right from the beginning, and i remember seeing his name as the camera went around to all the musicians. So from what little I've heard he's a bad bass player

anyone know which Bob James albums would be the best to hear him on?

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I would like to recommend Tom Scott's New York Connection album for some tasteful Gary King.

As far as Bob James albums? I would guess the very early ones...will have to re-check, however.

7. gingerbeer

gingerbeer

Jan 9, 2005
    gary king is one of my favorite bassist and you can hear some very nice lines from :idris muhammad "power of soul " CTI (1974) 4 tracks = 3 gems .

8. keyzer

keyzer

Jun 30, 2006
    Spain
    From Bob James I would choose "Trhree".
    Another great bassist: Gordon Edwards. To listen his play in underrated Joe Cocker´s "Stingray", with a sublime Eric Gale.
    My God, where are this kind of musicians now?

bassbrad likes this.
  9. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    "Two of a Kind"
    "H"
    "One on One"
    "B. J. 4"
    "Touchdown"

10. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I love Gordon Edwards, amazing feel! Anybody remember Herb Bushler?

11. keyzer

keyzer

Jun 30, 2006
    Spain
    Sorry, Jerry, I don´t know Herb Bushler.

Listening these days to Gary King in "New York Connection" (Tom Scott) and "Primal Scream" (Maynard Ferguson); Will Lee in "Three" (Bob James) and Gordon Edwards in "Stingray" (Joe Cocker)... I must admit: my clock stopped in seventies.
    (I hate dirty and noisy slap!)

12. cofibreyk

cofibreyk

Oct 1, 2006
    ..just finished watching Bob James live at Montreaux 1985
    and had to search for this Gary "bad ass groove" King!!!
    and I'm still astounded!

..I think he was using a Guild bass, a very snappy sounding axe!

13. Rodriguez

Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    NYC
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    Yeah, Gary King was a great player and a beautiful person. He died a few years ago. Somebody mentioned Herb Bushler, I have a few records w/ him, he was a solid bass player. He had a jingle house here in NYC (a few years back) I did some work for, he's a cool dude too.

Easy,
    RR
    myspace.com/rrbass

14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    +1
    Use to see Gordon with Stuff, in NY.
    Great player.
    I miss Richard Tee.

15. Hipster54

Hipster54

May 9, 2011
    lima ohio
    Gary passed away about 5 or 6 years ago. Sugar. His bass was a blonde Guild Starfire hollow body. I used to play with him at Broadway for Jesus Christ Superstar before he went to Bob James.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    We all do.
    Stuff Live At Montreux 1976 DVD
    Amazon.com: Stuff: Live At Montreux 1976: Cornell Dupree, Steve Gadd, Eric Gale, Richard Tee, Gordon Edwards: Movies & TV

I also just picked up this disc by the Voices Of East Harlem...Richard Tee & Chuck Rainey are in the rhythm section-
    Amazon.com: Right On Be Free: Voices of East Harlem: Music

Did not know Gary King had passed.
    Was listening to "Good King Bad" recently.
    Along with Rainey & Will Lee, Gary King was a big influence for me as I moved away from Rock & into jazzier, more R&B-tinged material.

17. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Cornell Dupree died a few days ago too, one of the greats!

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wow...did not know that, either.

19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    RIP! He was an all time great rythmn guitarist.

20. lsabina

lsabina

Sep 3, 2008
    WNY
    Sure...he's on some CTI recordings with tenorist Joe Farrell and guitarist Joe Beck.